Notices

Our club.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Our club.

Sir Alex Ferguson once said to his critics when one of his star players was playing the 'prima donna' regarding his continued contract and the terms on which he'd continue to play for Manchester United.

Which itself has a proud history and legions of fans and followers all over the world.

'No player is bigger than the club'.

I take take same view of the Sober Recovery Community,the Fellowship of A A, and what for me is one of the few books,that's never lied to me. The contents and philosophy expounded by the first 100 people who got sober in he book, 'Alcoholics Anonymous'...

Born out of those suffering and recovering from the disease/illness of alcoholism ...

There is no room, in what exists to help others pursuing a common purpose in the case to arrest , what is a progressive disease/illness that allowed to continue it's lead self destructive path. Destroying the lives of those afflicted with it and others, who do not detach from it and thus become 'enablers' of the very person or thing they're trying to avert.

Just as much as there's no room for 'prima donnas', the clun, our club is bigger than any one individual if we are all to achieve our ultimate goal, found in recovery and lasting sobriety and the gifts it brings us.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First really interesting post I read all the way through Redmayne. I kind of get the "foot ball" analogy which can relate to the real FOOTBALL or any sport really. I found that when I learned about the history of AA and how the first 100 got sober and stayed sober I was well ahead of the game. Sure I had racked up some penalty points, but I was well on my way to a firm understanding of a program that works. With this ego thing. Ego's will always exist in the rooms. But if we are open minded enough and have a common goal then hopefully those egos dont get in the way of recovery. We are all just human beings being sick as we are, trying to get better. We can never be perfect, but we can progress which is what I like. People are going to rub me the wrong way and instead of looking at them and their defects, I look at mine.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Two sins...

Thank you for your response, great...on the question of ego's, somewhere in the book,'As Bill Sees It', there's an entry titled,'Two Sins', that effectively makes the point. That there are only two sins in recovery,

1. To interfere with another's recovery...

2. To interfere with your own recovery...

Actions which often are instigated by those with by inflated ego's...usually by overestimating themselves and their abilities, whilst at the same time underestimating others and their abilities.