Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Where Were You?
Reload this Page >

I woke up from a vivid dream and knew I had to take action

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adut Child of an Alcoholic

Hello-
I just posted a long thread about all this in the "Newcomers" forum, but I will briefly share here as well. I woke up a little while ago from a vivid dream about myself and my active alcoholic mother. My Grandfather recently passed away and I had the rare opportunity to be with my mother's side of the family all together. My mother's behavior at and after the funeral was bizarre. The rest of the family has said, and I believe them, that I am the only one who can elicit an emotional response from her, if anyone can. Like I said before, no pressure, eh? Her drinking has escalated to the point where the next step for her is either her death from alcohol poisoning and organ failure or the death of herself and/or innocent people on the road. I am preparing to confront her with as much love and compassion as I can about her behavior and then I will see how things go. If she does not respond, I may be forced to cut ties with her as it is killing me to watch her self-destruct. I know that her behavior is her choice and not my responsibility, but I cannot live with myself if I stay silent and do nothing. Please wish us luck as I wish everyone here well on your journey to recovery and serenity.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Obviously...

Obviously I can't pass comment on your personalcircumstances, nor would I want to...but I can point you, from personal experience to Al-Anon...in the past, usually listened at 'closed' AA meetings, I've listened to guest speakers from that fine organisation and even at their own meetings.

All of us who either have or are still suffering under 'the las of John Barleycorn', know only to well the pain andsuffering involved, primararily to ourselves, we tend to be selfishcreatures in our cups.

To then sit and listen when sober to family members and friends of alcoholics and sharetheir experiences, even to the point of death of a loved one is a harrowing experience in itself.

On the positve side there is the knowledge that they help and support each other, it's not for nothing alcoholism is called a 'family illness'.

Take care, and may the god of your understanding go with you...