Notices

This morning I . . . .

Old 12-07-2010, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This morning I . . . .

Despite starting my recovery on the 15th of Feb., 2008, for the past few weeks I have ,'lost' myself in my sobriety, giving free rein to my emotions, feelinds and desires, a ,'dry drunk' for I am a recovering alcoholic and that is avery, life threatening are for me to go into. Especially if my old adversary,'self will' gets his foot in the door.
The incident I wrote about in my previous thread,'I wonder if . . . ' stayed with me all day, snowed in and awaiting the arrival of a heating engineer to once again fix my central heating boiler I relaxed and thought about me, no grand plans, desires or dreams, about me and my life as a recovering alcoholic and how lucky I am not least because I know exactly what I am and the actions I have to undertake on a daily basis to preserve me , a person I've come to love, for a long time I didn't and preserve both my sobriety and sanity. The number one priority above all else!
This morning I awaoke, sure, for the first time in a few weeks of myself and my convictions. After making my early morning cup of tea I sat and thought of the two greatest things that have happened in my sobriety. On the 2nd of August last year, two days into her 89th birthday my Mum passed away, in peace and without pain, victim of an aggressive form of brain cancer. On the 17th of Aug., this year, my son's partner gave birth to my grandson, Jude a beautiful , healthy boy with no complications for mother or child. When both these events took place I was sober, something prior to which I had not been for thirty years.

This morning I wept. . . .in sheer gratitude for the gift of my sobriety and the events that have ocurred in it, I can say no more.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always read your posts. They are so insightful and thought provoking. I have found it very helpful in my own recovery. Yes it is amazing to be able to feel and appreciate our lives again. I think you had a true moment of God's grace. This is what we hope for as we start on this road of recovery.

Thank you,
Cristina
Old 12-08-2010, 12:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

A wonderful gift and blessing is sobriety. Now that we're sober we get to enjoy all these things we used to take for granted during the times of our active disease. I'm looking forward to celebrating my belly button birthday this Saturday and being sober, something I haven't done for many years.