Notices

Things I must remember. . . .

Old 09-21-2010, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things I must remember. . . .

The sobriety calendar has me at 949 days sober, I passed my 64th birthday about a week ago, quite an achievement considering the state I was in three years ago, recognising that , w3hilst I'm not quite old enough to be wise, I am old enough to be philosophical, reflecting on my recovery thus far it occurs to me that there are a few things I should remember,

1. That I am now a recovering alcholic, and I , by the grace of the god of my understanding, will always be that, memories of the suffering I endured in my 30 year drinking days, mean that's fine by me.

2. I take the view that the name of the disease is alcohol-ISM, the alcohol is no longer a problem, the -ISM's remain, some have gone, most have at least in some way diminished but without doubt the worst one, for me and I suspect for many alcoholics, recovering or not, is SELF WILL, and it is incumbent on me to be ever vigilent against it, in whatever form it arises, because if my vigilance slips, even momentarily, I'M DEAD.

3. There is an old Arabian saying, "A man who knows himself, knows God," I've always felt in recovery that one of the most outstanding benefits,and there are many, is that at least I know, if not who but exactly what I am, a recovering alcoholic, and an important part of that process is that, on a dail basis I try to improve my relationship with the god of my understanding, aiming for spiritual progress NOT spiritual perfection.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect but it's important that I remember these things, nmo doubt those who read this can add many others, please do, you're more than welcome, Mike W.