Notices

where were you

Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

where were you

I'm in a good place in my sobriety. I am blessed to be sober, happy and healthy almost ten months on August 4th. Through the help of God, my family, a good treatment center, CBT,my therapist, anti-depressants and hard work I have discovered how wonderful your body can feel when you are free from the physical and mental addiction to alcohol.
I think I found SR because I feel strong enough in my faith and sobriety to be a listener to others if they need someone to talk to. I understand the fear and shame associated with being an alcoholic and a mother. I also understand the crippling hold physical addiction plays in a person's life.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We all have different paths.

I was an alcoholic from my early 30's, in the last ten years I , whilst still drinking began to not only learn about spirituality but when at an AA meeting someone handed me a set of CD'S, which were in fact a recording of a Big Book study held over a weekend I began toget an insight into AA, the words,'those who thoroughly follow our path,' ring in my ears even today, but still I drank but deepened my prayers, beliefs and search and thinking, adding Buddhist principles to my basic Christian beliefs, these I still adhere to today.

Eventually , one night, when I was alone I had drunk myself to such a state of debility I could only crawl on my belly to my bed, I was completely alone and frightened I wasn't going to wake up, everything had gone and I was sure the world could manage quite well without me.

From the depths of my soul, reaching way, way down I prayed and cried for an end to my suffering. The night passed, the next day I felt very ill, the following day I made myself a light meal to be washed down with very strong lager,9.9ABV. I mean hell!I was an alcoholic, what do you want me to do?
I took a few sips and vomited, the other cans went down the sink. Next day, ill, day after a repeat performance with much weaker lager, same result.

My sobriety began, obviously I wasn't exactly in good shape but one day followed another and so on, I continuewhereverand whenever to try and make spiritual progress. Everything hasn't been sunshine and light, but it's a lot better than it was and if nothing else I was soberwhen my Mother passed away last year.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

not being alone

I too found myself alone with only my shame and guilt. I was three thousand miles away from my family, realizing that this was what my life was going to be like if I didn't ask for help. I went to bed and cried, sobbed and talked to God. He listened because I had a feeling of hope, a lightness in my mind the next day. I stayed sick for a few months after that but my hope helped me to begin the recovery process.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

stanleyhouse ......Welcome to our recovery community....
Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just found this site today, after coming back from a Nooners Group meeting today and getting my 30 days chip!! Thanks for having this site. I'm glad I found it, with the help of God, of course....7
Old 10-06-2010, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Peace, No More Guilt 9/28/2010

Originally Posted by LeanaJo View Post
I just found this site today, after coming back from a Nooners Group meeting today and getting my 30 days chip!! Thanks for having this site. I'm glad I found it, with the help of God, of course....7
Good luck Leana, thisis a great site... Look around, read, you will be surprised on how you will relate..

6 days gone.. working on 7.. hey that's a week.. A week ago today I was so hung over I did not want to go shopping with hubby on vacation. I said can we please just go tomorrow? and we did. I knew that night when I was drinking I was done. I knew I had to stop and I told myself that would be my last drink and so far it has..
Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was in a horrible state when I came here. Desperate and hopeless and afraid - but no more! With the love and support of the members here and my addiction counselor I am living the happy, joyous, and free life I used to think I could never have.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I was at about day 20 after detox and sober. But I thought that all the physical symptoms of withdrawal would be over once I was detoxed. I was getting lots of digestive tract issues Much gas which I never had while drinking, and my skin turned dry and I got dandruff for the first time in my life. Have seen my docs twice in the last 23 days of sobriety and today drew blood again, and he is convinced that I will be having some minor discomforts for possibly weeks or even months as my body adjusts and heals. NO illnesses or permanent problems detected.

So at the beginning of the week I googled alcohol withdrawal symptoms because I wanted to know if others had their own physical issues, and found SR. I read dang near all night and was relieved to know I wasn't the only one that had weird withdrawal symptoms after a week, that many did, and all are different with some repeated issues in common, some lasting more than just a week or three.

On the other hand I have a lot of energy, feel great! Except for the few other side effects of withdrawal, which are a piece of cake compared to the physical side effects I was getting drinking, and the itchy dry skin and scalp which is getting better as I hydrate more, and thus made my name here Itchy. Those too will pass. Things are looking very bright.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm 37 years old have 20 years of drinking I am not sure exactly when it all started but I know when it ended 1 week ago today!!! I am soo sick of humiliating myself. Waking up and trying to remember what happened and being so panicky and sick. I feel guilty today for everything I've ever done to the ones I love, sick with shame.I'm in AA and this time I am actually doing the work it takes to become a recovering alchoholic.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, No More Guilt 9/28/2010

Originally Posted by stayinsober View Post
I'm 37 years old have 20 years of drinking I am not sure exactly when it all started but I know when it ended 1 week ago today!!! I am soo sick of humiliating myself. Waking up and trying to remember what happened and being so panicky and sick. I feel guilty today for everything I've ever done to the ones I love, sick with shame.I'm in AA and this time I am actually doing the work it takes to become a recovering alchoholic.
congrads on the week stayin... look around in here you will find alot of stories and support that will help you on your journey.. I know I have.. 3 weeks for me today and I feel great.. I ask myself what I ever seen in that rot gut stuff..
Good luck!!!