Maturity

Old 02-20-2006, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Maturity

Anais Nin:

We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ooooooo..... You've just given me a new author to google!!

In return I think this is a lovely picture:
Old 02-20-2006, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

An incredible picture.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went hunting for a piccy of stars but none were as cool as that one.

I really like the notion that maturity lies in multiple aspects rather than a single all covering growth. I also think we all have spurts and times when we are more stagnant. I think I have a lot to be grateful for when it comes to the impact of alcohol on my life - it's made me think about so much, woken me back up to research (science), philosophy, my own sense of morality, being part of a community, living in the present, but most of all the HUGE tons I still have to learn. By 'have to' learn I don't mean being forcede I mean having so much still out there to discover.

Sometimes I think the hardest times of my life are the ones that ironically end up teaching me how to be happier.

The other thing I loved about the quote is it's sense of time and the influences of one time on another - I love time, it was one of the first things that captured my imagination as a kid, and it still fascinates me!! I love my life being such a small fraction of it, it teaches me patience if even my whole life is really such a very short time.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really like the notion that maturity lies in multiple aspects rather than a single all covering growth. I also think we all have spurts and times when we are more stagnant. I think I have a lot to be grateful for when it comes to the impact of alcohol on my life - it's made me think about so much, woken me back up to research (science), philosophy, my own sense of morality, being part of a community, living in the present, but most of all the HUGE tons I still have to learn. By 'have to' learn I don't mean being forcede I mean having so much still out there to discover.

Your bang on the money there Eq.

Blessing.
Disguise.

I used to do what A. T. Beck used to call "thinking without thinking".
Old 02-20-2006, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On a tear

Five ... I think your quote perfectly describes the two As living in my home. AD started using at age 12 or 13 and her ABF at age 9.... he has been sober one year and she for just over 6 months. Their maturity is EXACTLY as in the quote.

And when I think about it... that is true for me and Mr. Big, as well.

Thank you for this.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I bite.

Originally Posted by Five
We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another.
I really liked this part.