Workshops for the 2006 SR Retreat

Old 08-16-2005, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On a tear

Workshops for the 2006 SR Retreat

2006 Sober Recovery Retreat
Palm Springs, CA

Hello!

For those who don’t know me, my name is Deane and I post as BigSis in the Naranon forum. I sometimes leap without looking and bite off a bit more than I can chew…smile. In that vein, I would like to announce that I’ve accepted the responsibility of Workshop Coordinator for the 2006 Sober Recovery Retreat in Palm Springs next year….

…And I don’t know a flippin’ thing about organizing workshops! But why let a small thing like not knowing how to do something stop me from trying?

We need about six workshops for the retreat, and so far, I’ve received the following workshop offers:

Cognitive Thinking
Domestic Violence

Although we are still in the “brainstorming” portion of the planning, I am looking for both ideas as well as volunteers to conduct workshops for the conference.

Please send me a PM if you have an idea or wish to volunteer to conduct a workshop for the conference. I will respond with my email and we can get to work planning!

Looking forward to all the great ideas…

BigSis
Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

I'd like to see a sponsorship workshop and journaling workshop.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey BigSis and everyone else thinking about holding a workshop. It could be as easy as showing a film and moderating a discussion after. Many of you will only be doing what you do here in person. Besides what's the worse that can happen? There have been no requests for firing squad members. Like an AA or other recovery group. Good or badf we walked out sober, and isn't that the point. Take a deep breath and PM BigSis, you'll be glad you did. Here on SR and other sites there are movies,books etc to help you. I just went to the SR store. I found some great ideas and items to help with workshops. You'll be helping us, you'll be helping SR and you'll be helping yourself. I saw one for recovering families that looked great. Also, ones on topics that Chy mentioned and many others. They are not all AA related either, so don't use that reason. Don W
Old 08-24-2005, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

I already PM'd her with a suggestion for something along the lines of "Parenting in Recovery" or "Relationships in Recovery" and I haven't heard anything back yet. I would also be happy to lead a different workshop, if need be. Give me a topic and a time and I will be there!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Has anyone mentioned a Meditation Work Shop? Not that any of us need one. Help, I'm locked in my mind and can't get out. Ha! Ha!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Stress relief or management?
I know I could have used it a few years back...
Shalom!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Well, we HAVE to have one on Detachment...
Yeppers........
Old 10-03-2005, 01:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wish I could go, big sigh.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like the journaling idea chy. I journal and then assess with CBT and then change. its bloody priceless.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

Great way to process, Mill....
...and never say never. The Retreat is not until next September. We've a whole year to plan....
Shalom!
Old 10-10-2005, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would love to conduct a workshop, or help out in some other manner. Im only 30 minutes away from Palm Springs!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hiya, Angel Baby!!!
Here's a link describing the types of committees we have, and the chairs of those committees. Feel free to join any one of them, or, we still have a need for the decorating and incidental chair. Being as you live nearby, that might be perfect for you -- you know where to go and such.
Let me know what you want to do. And of course, you can serve on more than one committee.
Thanks for offering! It's people like you who will make this retreat a success!!!
Shalom!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
On a tear

OMG... I am so sorry I did not return to this thread earlier - no excuses.

.... Anyone who has not PMd me with ideas about workshops - please do so! Chy and Lulu -- excellent ideas and Lulu I apologize that I missed your PM... I think your idea is great!

So far -

Cognitive Thinking
Domestic Violence
Relationships in Recovery
Journaling

Possibly a workshop on Disease vs Choice (if I can find someone brave enough!)
Or on All Kinds of Recovery (because these threads get TRAFFIC here!)

...and some pms that I have at home with suggestions (i am at work right now).

...and teach - September? O lordy, I thought was October. Do we have a firm date, yet?

You who have attended workshops - was there a format you prefer? The ones I've attended were like a speaker meeting.

And what time frames would work best... 1 hour each? Or two hours each one in the morning, one in the afternoon of each day?

Oh hell.. how many days are we planning?

.... I think I need a workshop on How to Coordinate Workshops.

Domes
Old 10-23-2005, 07:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Life!

BigSis;
I'm working up a tentative timeline now. Waiting to hear from Jon to finalize it.
The days are Thursday through Sunday. I'm thinking one on Thursday; two on Friday and Saturday; one on Sunday morning. This is tentative, until I hear from the big guy.
Figure an hour a piece. It may go longer; perhaps shorter. Workshops I've attended tend to have a speaker present, sometimes with visual or media type presentations; then a Q and A period. Finally, milling time to chat informally and talk one on one with the speaker.
Any other concerns, BigSis? Feel free to email me or call. I'm available to help in any case..
I appreciate your hard work and dedication!!!! Keep it up!!!
Shalom!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Chi, I have a problem journaling, I would love to attend a work shop on that.
Angel, I am in Lake Havasu City, AZ and will be doing refreshments during the workshops etc. snacks and the like, I think doing baskets or gifts for the speakers also. I would really love a helping hand, let me know. Anyone who would like to help or bring something, PM me anytime .
Hugs and Thanks, Myra AKA Loulouise
Old 10-26-2005, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To Life!

Good job, Myra!!!
Thanks for doing it!!! And keep it up!!!
Let me know how it's going and if you need anything, ok? You're the BOMB!!!
Shalom!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i dont know how to help my son...24....who has just admitted to a heroin addiction...he is currently in jail....violation to probation...flunked a drug test....says his addiction isnt that serious and he can recover....doesnt think he needs that much help.....i am devastated....didnt actually see this coming....want him to get into a rehab .....in patient isnt that the best???? but how can i help...i know enough to know that he has to want the help...he is playing down the severity of his addiction ....any advice would be apprecitated....im lost..
Old 11-02-2005, 12:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Notworthi,
you need to start a new thread and then people will respond.
Welcome to SR, you will find comfort in the knowledge that you are among friends. Find a face to face meeting and read the stickys, the one about what addicts do will help. I have two son's who are alcoholic/addicts as well as parents and siblings.
Prayers are headed your way.
Hugs and Prayers,
Loulouise
\
Old 01-19-2006, 12:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Where can I find the info on When and where this event will be? I know that we need some "Relationships in Recovery" work over here......Thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Now you know me, Big Sis, and I think we need a workshop on the healing power of humor. You can speak and I will laugh.

Oh my, that didn't come out right ...