Workshops for the 2006 SR Retreat

Old 02-08-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I’d like to suggest doing a workshop on one of the most taboo subjects, not only in recovery but in the world. Money. So many of us in recovery focus on our spirituality but I’ve only once every heard anyone talk abut money. If you say the world money to most people they usually say it’s not that impotent to them. But if you look at it there are 168 hours in a week. 56hours of sleep, entertainment, 8 hours time with family maybe 8 hours, time preparing for, going to and being at work 50 or more. If money isn’t impotent why do we spend so much time trying to get it? I don’t every think it will happen but I’d love to see us talk about the subject of money.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Burned but hopeful!!

teach... i'd like something on denial (however no one would come because no one would believe they needed the information ), and/or enabling...something like "Enabling 101" Thanks for taking this on. Anything I can do to help all the way in Maryland?
Old 02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think an idea for a workshop could be on something like "Recovery Stress/Trauma"...if that makes sense. I know when my AH got clean and sober I was expecting life to be just like the old days and perfect again. I was completely ill prepared for the anger and resentment I had buried that started surfacing and I know he had and still has many issues that he deals with as well. Recovery was certainly a God send, but there were many obstacles that we had to work our way through and I was blind sided by a lot of them.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
To Life!

WOW!
I'd say there are some really good ideas being put forth!
BigSis? Where are ya?
Money, denial, enabling and trauma/stress....yea, all good.

You know, I think PTSD is not uncommon for us who deal with our loved ones. I think I probably have times when I have flashbacks. We've talked about it with Mark Sichel, our expert, and he agrees its not uncommon. So, that one particularly appeals to me.
And money is a great one because while we don't want to become consumed by it, (pardon the pun), we need to be realistic. We need money to live on.

Oh, there's so many good issues!
Have you folks signed on yet? Remember to send an email. Doug has it posted on the top of the forum. Hope to see you all there!

Shalom!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
K13

I Like The "relationship In Recovery" Idea For A Workshop. I Am Going Thru This Sitution Right Now, Accept Now My Boyfriend Has Started Using Again.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
On a tear

You guys are great...

Here's the thing - lots of ideas, a few volunteers to lead the workshop - now I need to put those two together.

1. Is the date firm, yet?
2. Who here that wants to lead a workshop is coming?
3. What sort of audience do we expect? 20, 200? For me, that will make a difference on the type of workshop - visuals work great in larger crowds, sometimes a sharing session works great with smaller ones...

Any more ideas? (These are great, by the way)
Old 07-30-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Reikihelps

How about something on Dual Diagnosis and distinguishing between the two. When to help and when to let go. When is it enabling and when is it empowering?