Now my mama cat is sick.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by 51anna
How in the heck are you going to get a urine sample from a cat?
Ah, ve have vays! LOL. Actually, it's funny you should ask because I thought it was very interesting how they wanted me to do it. They gave me this bottle of little plastic pellets to put in an otherwise empty litterbox. They sort of serve as litter in the kitty's mind, but they don't absorb the urine, so you can just pour it off. I thought it was pretty clever. Maybe that's just me. LOL.

Thank you, Anna!!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-08-2005, 06:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by Ann
me and Toby are hoping this is just a cat flu kinda thing or a big furball that needs to be...uhhh...passed?
Thank you again, Ann!! I'm still afraid it's something pretty serious. She has lost over 1/3 of her body weight and the doctor called her "emaciated." She seems happy enough, though. She's up here lolling and squirming on the bed trying to get me to come pet her.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-08-2005, 06:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ben's Papa

I'll be praying for your cat,Eddie.You know I love cats!
Old 08-08-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you, Richie!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-08-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

my cat went out this morning and didn't come back until this evening. I will take her tomorrow. Hope your's is ok.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No expectations!

More hugs ((((Kathy))))!

Love,
Eddie
Old 08-09-2005, 07:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

prayers for your precious fur baby and hope that it is something treatable. my 18yr old cat is on 5 different meds at the moment - ahh the things we do for our animals, but it's well worth it!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thanks again, cw!! Now I'm hoping this isn't something where she's going to need fluids all the time. We've had kitties that had to have fluids injected under the skin at home and it's a royal pain. But I'll do it if I have to.

Love and hugs for people and their s and s,
Eddie
Old 08-09-2005, 10:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
dax

I hope your cat doesn't haver kidney trouble but it sounds like that may be it. I used to raise Siamese and have 7 house cats now. And one is in severe kidney failure. I have Simba on sub cu fluids and have pulled him back from the brink of death twice. In fact when I was at the vets yesaterday, the girl said she was surprised he was still alive. I also have him on ant acids and compazine for vomiting. The compazine is my Rx but it has kept him eating. dax
Old 08-09-2005, 12:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you, dax!! Yeah, I'm afraid it's renal failure myself. Have you ever used cyproheptadine for appetite? I wonder if it would help for vomiting, too, since it has antihistamine properties like the Compazine. Hmmm....

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

So sorry to hear about all the sick little critters out there...

My kitty Caramel, who is diabetic, has been taking what I like to call a "whole-house approach" to the litter box lately... We suspect she may have a UTI, so I'm picking up some NoSorb today (the pellets eddie spoke of) and will try to catch a urine sample for testing.

So, on top of twice-daily insulin injections and two other meds, I may need to figure out how to get her to take an antibiotic if it does turn out to be a UTI. We all know how cats just loooove to take pills!

The things we do for love...!

Carry on, you brave & compassionate souls!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

They are so much like our little babies. They can't tell us what is wrong. Stll thinking of our sick animal members. Don W
Old 08-09-2005, 06:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you, ncp, and again, Don!!

ncp,
I feed all our kitties one of those urinary tract health formulas. Maybe that would help, too.

Well, it's not Mariann's kidneys. She may have cancer, though, or FIP (feline infectious peritonitis), either of which is pretty awful. We're trying her on an antibiotic for a while to see if that helps any and I'm supposed to keep trying to get a urine sample. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again, everybody, for the support!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-09-2005, 06:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Eddie,

My little Sasha died from FIP when she was 12 months old. It was awful. There is no treatment at all for that disease and it's difficult to diagnose without a liver biopsy (which I was definitely not going to do on my cat). It is also a disease that waxes and wanes.

I am still praying for Mariann and hope that she will not suffer for one moment of her life.

Love, Anna
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

eddiez - yeah i have done the fluid thing on 2 of mine - ugh! more prayers to you!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by eddie z.
ncp,
I feed all our kitties one of those urinary tract health formulas. Maybe that would help, too.
Unfortunately, Caramel's on a strict diet of Purina DM (Diabetes Management).

I hope your kitty is treatable, and that it turns out to be the lesser of the diagnoses...
Old 08-10-2005, 06:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you, Anna, stormyautumn, Christie, and nocellphone!!

If Mariann doesn't improve with the antibiotics, and she probably won't, the next step is X-rays and/or exploratory abdominal surgery. I can't afford the surgery I know. Hel*, I can't afford the X-rays for that matter. We'll probably just have to do supportive stuff like the fluids until she gets too pathetic to keep going.

But I did get some urine. Maybe that will provide some answers. This is just so sad.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-10-2005, 06:13 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
dax

I dealt with FIP a lot when raising Siamese. it is so difficult to diagnose but here are some things to watch for. There are 2 forms. In the 'wet' form straw colored fluid can build up-1 in the abdomen-cat will be skinny withan pot belly. Worst in the lung cavity- lungs will be compressed and cat will have trouble breathing. Dry form very hard to confirm/ If your cat is active and playful when feeling better- probaly not FIP- Fip cats tend to stop playing. Also look for changes in the cats eyes-. I had one cat whose blue eyes turned green. Prayers for your cat!!!!
For diabetic cats going everywhere- put little litter boxes all over house. Sometimes this helps. dax
Old 08-10-2005, 12:20 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Thinking of your kitty, eddie. I have two in my house, a black one that has two white furs on his belly and a beautiful tabby who loves bath water. Please fill us in when you hear back on the urine sample, either way. TIA (thanks in advance)
Old 08-10-2005, 02:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you again, dax, and thank you, Alera!! The vet explained about the wet and dry forms of FIP. If it's FIP, then it's the dry form. Like you said, dax, hard to confirm. The urine results will be back tomorrow and I'll definitely let you all know what they say.

Love and hugs,
Eddie