The sun and wind

Old 06-13-2005, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

The sun and wind

Let the gentle bush dig its root deep and spread upward to split one boulder.
--Carl Sandburg

There is a fable about the sun and wind having a contest to see who can get the old man to take his coat off first. The wind blows fiercely, but the old man just pulls his coat tighter around him. Finally, the wind gives up and the sun comes out. The sun shines a steady warm light down on the old man, who soon takes his coat off.

More and better things are accomplished in this world by kindness and gentleness than by force. When we find ourselves most frustrated, it is often because we are trying to force certain things to happen. Our own patient and steady desire to grow, fed by the love and kindness of others, will not be stopped by anything or anyone. Our own gentleness is a powerful force in our lives. It is like the gentle bush that grows through granite.

What can I gain by gentleness today?

Old 06-13-2005, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Beautiful reminder, Doug...
Thanks for sharing.
You know, as a teacher, there are times that a kid can drive you absolutely CRAZY!! Yet the best results come when I quietly remind them of what they are doing and what they SAY they want. It gives an opportunity for them to think before continuing. It allows them to save face. It allows the rest of the class to witness the power in a gentle touch. Gentleness IS a powerful force. In our own lives and in others.
Shalom!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Doug

More and better things are accomplished in this world by kindness and gentleness than by force. When we find ourselves most frustrated, it is often because we are trying to force certain things to happen. Our own patient and steady desire to grow, fed by the love and kindness of others, will not be stopped by anything or anyone.
I am the worst at trying to force conclusions. Patience is a virtue that I struggle to find. But experience has taught me that when I let go, when I stop forcing things, my hands and heart are then open to receiving the gifts that recovery gives me.

Thank you for the reminder, Doug.

Hugs
Ann