Daily Perspective Check

Old 06-10-2005, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daily Perspective Check

Taking a time out. Many hospitals now have a program to reduce mistakes.
One of them is called " Time Out" Just before starting surgery they must stop.
They then are required to check patient name, blood type, the correct surgery to be performed. If there is a limb involve, check to be sure they have correct one. We've all heard of the wrong patient, the wrong leg being removed etc. This is no longer an option, they must do it and document that it was done. I was thinking how we could apply this rule to us. Like myself, have any of you rushed through a day, and at the end, state " I had not one single moment for myself the whole day. Well, unlike the nurses and doctors we do have an option. Problems happen, like with the surgery, when people are thinking about the next case, the next patient etc. They forget the most important things, this patient, this case and my role. I am still guilty of not taking time for myself on a consistant basis. It is not good for the patient if, most of the time the policy is followed. We also must follow this " Time Out"
thing on a daily basis. I understand that many take time to pray in the morning and thanks at night. Well, if we think of it isn't that for God also?
Sure we can experence the results but, this "Time Out" I speak of is for you.
This isn't a task that requires alot of time. A simple daily plan to take even 10 seconds for just you. This is working in the medical field and can work for you.
I started two days ago, a this is only a suggestion. I remember back at the VA Hospital they showed us breathing excercises. Our goal was to reduce the amount of breaths we took per 60 seconds. When we started we found that our breathing was so shallow and rapid that there was noway our bodies were benefiting. And with stress it was worse. Any of you also find trouble breathing when upset? I will actually forget to breath. They had us set up a plan to take time for breathing. We were required to keep track for a month days we did and didn't. I didn't score very well. Find a way in your life that will require you to take a " Time Out" do a qaulity check on yourself. Sort of like the inventory suggested. Only thing is to stick to the good only. I used to get in the house at night, take the dog for a walk, rush back and turn the news on. Flip through 257 channels fustrated by the lack of good shows. Then call it relaxing watching a show that was the one I didn't like the least.
This was my time out. Well, like I said two days ago I started. I get home and walk the dog, and I walk her longer, the TV isn't that great to rush back to. Needing something to entertain me isn't the best life for me today. I get back to the house and go on the back porch listen to music. Also, I just sit there and breath. I try and reduce the breaths. As this works I find peace. The weather and news will be there in the morning. Me hearing it isn't needed.
Make a plan, and tell us. Try it for a month and let us know. If anyone would like, I can post the breathing excercize next week. However, most book and record stores have tapes or books. Don W
Old 06-11-2005, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Sounds like a great idea, Don, and like you, my day is busy from the time I get up until I go to bed at night. I think of coming here as my relaxation time but it's not time that I take for myself. When I walk the beach, it is completely my time, and I know I feel refreshed when I come home. I will start doing that every day, or if the weather is bad, then I'll just take time to listen to music or sit quietly for a while.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Hugs
Ann
Old 06-11-2005, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post Don.
I'm not sure people understand the importance of things like deep breathing, meditation, guided imagery and just quiet moments of the soul.
Deep breathing oxygenates the system. It is a common practice among the enlightened. This should be a big, big hint for us common folks.
Meditation and guided imagery lead us to places inside ourselves that conscious thinking can't take us.
We make time for all kinds of things that don't bring us peace.
We need to make time for the things that do.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'd like it if you would post about the breathing. I know that when I am stressed or have panic attacks one feeling I know I experience is that of feeling like I can't breathe. Even when I try to take deep breaths it sometimes feels impossible.

Hugs
Ann