Addiction they don't have meetings for

Old 05-30-2005, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No Expectations!

Addiction they don't have meetings for

I have an addiction that there are no specific meetings for. I got to NA just because i can relate and I do have a drug problem as well. But I just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone else has an addiction besides drugs or alcohol that could relate to me. I have never shared about it in a meeting yet, but my sponsor keeps telling me i need to. i know other people have the same addiction, but no one else talks about it, so i feel embarrassed talking about it. And I don't want the attention over it.

Im not ready to put it out in a post yet either, but if anyone can relate to having a different addiction, that might help me to put it out there. thanx!

-Skiss
Old 05-30-2005, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Welcome to SR,
Skiss!!

I think many, if not most, of us drug addicts suffer from all kinds of addictions. You are probably not as alone as you think you are. Feel free to PM me if you like, OK? BTW, I am female, in case that makes any difference. Take care and best wishes in your recovery!

Love and hugs,
eddie
Old 05-30-2005, 09:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with your sponsor about bring it up as a topic at a meeting. I used to think I had all of these other addictions. Then I figured out that I was adcited to anything that I could use to change my feelings.

in the symbol in The Basic Text it states "The outer circle represents a totdal and universal program with room within it for all manifestations of the recovering person"

probably why you can relate so well in NA . We have 2 things in common addiiction and recovery, so I can relate to your or eddie or whoever is sharing, no matter what playground our addiction manifested itself on.

The crazy things we did to feed our habit, how we used to have to justify our using, and how frustrated we became with the lack of control are some of the things that we talk abouut and the substance or behaviour doesn't even need be mentioned.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by Gooch
the substance or behaviour doesn't even need be mentioned.
Bingo! Thanks, Gooch!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-04-2005, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I too have suffered from other addictions, although alcohol was my first and primary. For me, it's all the same physical, psychological, and spiritual problem. If you're not comfortable talking about this here, send me an IM and I promise to respond.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I think all addiction originates in our thought life...the thoughts that turn into obsession are our addictions...
Old 06-04-2005, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Skiss,

I can tell you that over the years I have become addicted to all sorts of things. If you need to talk and don't want to put it on the boards or are afraid of being judged, you can PM me. With the things I've done, I have no room to judge anyone for anything.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No expectations!

What do you think, Skiss? How ya' doin'?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-04-2005, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by namommy
With the things I've done, I have no room to judge anyone for anything.
Hear, hear. Going through the darkness of addiction and now getting into the light has given me deep compassion and humility. We are here to help each other no matter what. And it really is as simple as that.

Keep posting, Skiss. Keep posting.

---phinny
Old 06-04-2005, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Red face

Skiss-Anything that is addicting is also intoxicating. It brings us to a place we like. I have had m,any addictions and will be glad to tell you every one of them. I know it is hard to talk about some things but I agree with Gooch, put it out at a meeting, you will be surprised, you are NOT alone.....kahlia...PEACE
Old 06-04-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Expectations!

What do you mean, eddie? how am I doing? you want me to put it out there in a post? do you really think it will go over well?
Old 06-04-2005, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Not if you're still uncomfortable. I just wondered how you were doing since we hadn't heard back from you on this thread. I wondered what you thought about what people were saying and stuff. Shoot, I'll send you a PM. Take care.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-04-2005, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Expectations!

I want to thank all of you who have responded. It gives me hope that no one will be suprised and be nothing but supportive. Ill read my PMs and then decide if Im gonna put it in a post.
thank you though. you all made me feel a little more comfortable.

-Skiss
Old 06-04-2005, 10:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're completely welcome, Skiss!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-04-2005, 02:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You know what, I lay all my sh*t out on the table. I need to, I was told we are only as sick as our secrets.

I figure it this way. Those who matter won't judge, and those who judge don't matter.

Take my sh*t and do with it what you want. I need to do what I need to do for me.

That is not to say that you are yet comfortable with this, just how I am.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Expectations!

All right, I think i could be ready. But let me prepare. ill post something monday night.

thanks for all your support!

-Skiss
Old 06-05-2005, 08:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're STILL welcome! LOL. And thank YOU for keeping on coming back!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-05-2005, 09:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No Expectations!

You know it cracks me up all the love I feel when i talk to program people. That is the main thing that keeps me coming back. I definitely wouldnt stick around if i didn't feel as good as i feel inside when i talked to you guys. thanks.

you don't have to say "you're welcome" again! LOL

I just love the feeling I get, it's like a giddy good butterfly feeling. thank you!

-Skiss
Old 06-05-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome! teehee

I know what you mean, Skiss. The warm fuzzies, as corny as it sounds. That's how I find my Higher Power, you know?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-05-2005, 01:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Skiss, I dont mean to put you in a corner, but are you a self mutilator? If thats the case, there are SMA meetings too, so you're not alone. My partner is one too, though he doesn't go to meetings for it specifically.