One mans thoughts

Old 04-28-2005, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

One mans thoughts

Indeed, this need of individuals to be right is so great that they are willing to sacrifice themselves, their relationships, and even love for it.
--Reuel Howe

We may have an inner drive to be right - and even to prove we are right. We often have been expected to know about the world and how things work, as if our manhood were tied to knowing. So when we don't know the right answer, or when a person disagrees with us, we may get upset because we feel our masculine honor is in question.

We should always remember that our honor requires being honest, not being right. Our masculinity is being true to ourselves as men, not being invincible. Demanding that our opinions always be accepted as right is destructive to our relationships. It cuts us off from people we love, and becomes hostile and selfish. We are learning to allow room for differences; we can love and respect people we disagree with. And we all have a right to be wrong part of the time.

I don't have to have all the right answers. Today, my ideas are just one man's honest thoughts.

Old 04-28-2005, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I think women can get caught up in being right too. Honesty in my opinion is the single most important ingredient in a good relationship. I believe without it love cannot exsist.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

"honor requires being honest, not being right."
Old 04-28-2005, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

I drank and used because I believed I was invincible.
Then I drank and used to feel invincible, because I no longer thought I was made of steel.
Then I drank and used to become vulnerable, I was so far removed from reality, I thought getting loaded might make me an easy prey for someone to talk sense into me.

Today, I can wait for answers a little more patiently.