Numbing in hand

Old 10-18-2020, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
VinBx

Numbing in hand

Hi All,

I just passed the 1 year sober hump. Feeling better day by day but it sure is a slow process. I'm still accompanied by that good friend who seems to never forget about you "anxiety" . Besides that usually when anxious it makes me woozy and feel not like myself and creates a depressed mood. I have some good days but seems like the bad days tend to hang around enough to make me irritable. I also tend to have some numbness in my left hand. It is not constant but usually comes in when I keep it the same postion for a while. Was curious if anyone else had or has these symptoms just at the 1 year mark. All the best to all.

Vinny
Old 10-18-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've had numbing in my left hand and forearm, but it went away on its own after a few months. I never did find out what caused it.

How long has it been going on? Depending on how long it's lasting, you might want to see your doctor, maybe get referred to a neurologist. Could be any number of things, best to see your doctor, maybe some testing.

Congrats on the first of many sober years! It does get better, slowly sometimes, but it will get better.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

After a years sobriety Id be thinking for other reasons for the periodic hand numbness, vindawg?
Maybe see your doctor about it if you are concerned?

D
Old 10-19-2020, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
VinBx

Hey least,

Thanks for the info. Ive been having it on and off for a few months but ive been noticing it lately more so. Im scheduled to see my doctor and run some more tests and they want to check for some vitamin deficiencies . Thanks a gain and all the best to you.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
VinBx

Thanx Dee,

They did some tests and they said that all was ok.. They did some nerve conductivity tests and turned out ok.

Thanks for your concern,

All the best
Old 10-19-2020, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope your hand improves then

D
Old 10-19-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have had the hand numbness sometimes too. Normally coincides when I am feeling ‘PAWSy’ I think when you in recovery the brain does some crazy things to your nerves as it reaches homeostasis. Funny you mention it. I have it now.

I’m passing my one year sober soon too . What a wonderful place SR has been.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Admittedly, one weird symptom I had after a night of binge drinking a couple of times is that a portion my hand would be numb the next day. This numbness persisted a worrisome amount of time, in retrospect. It did not deter me from continuing to drink, though.

I have been sober for quite awhile, and I have not experienced the above, fortunately. Definitely see a doctor.

Edit: I overlooked you saw a doctor. Glad yer alright.

Last edited by RaiseAnchor; 10-26-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Didn’t read full thread.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
VinBx

Thank you all,

Ant I sure do notice it much more when those ppawsy days kick in. Like this morning. Having one of them episodes now. Slight numbness but more racing thoughts and fuzzy feeling. Hope you all are feeling great. Have a great weekend.

Vinny
Old 03-26-2021, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The racing thoughts thing....

I have to catch myself IMMEDIATELY and not let them get away from me. It usually starts with some worry or fear and then goes to all the worries and all the fears,

If I can stop it right away and not let it take hold I am okay. It took me a lot of practice, though. The early morning/still in bed/jolt awake kind of fears are awful and I've found the best thing for those is get out of bed, do one or two minutes of calisthenics and immediately start chores. That works every time.

HUGE congrats on the One Year!!