The Pink WHAT?!

Old 10-15-2020, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Pink WHAT?!

Ever notice that the Pink Cloud of early sobriety has edges? Yes. Early sobriety is wonderful for a lot of folks. We live in and on the Pink Cloud. This euphoric state follows us every where we go. We walk around feeling proud (as we should because getting sober is quite the endeavor for some of us), serene, unencumbered, and powerful. Until the inevitable plummet.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...RST&ajaxhist=0
We fall off the cloud and hit reality. Some might even say the cloud just dissolves. Either way – reality has been surrounding us the entire time, but due to our enthusiasm of being newly sober – we overlook it. We’re just overjoyed not to be drunk or hungover again. And this is exactly about the time that we start reminiscing about picking up another drink. Otherwise known as a relapse. Whether or not we drink again boils down to the amount of self-control we’re willing to employ, but the hard choices of life are now front and center. Whereas before, not drinking seemed like a no-brainer, now – drinking just one – maybe two at the most – seems logical, reasonable, and even appropriate.

And I believe this experience, the pink cloud and the plummet, is one of the biggest experiences we have that differentiates sobriety from recovery. While we’re sober, we’re not drinking. But that’s all. When we move into recovery, we’ve become a non-drinker. There’s an enormous difference between the two.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nez

I personally never experienced the pink cloud, but I did experience countless relapses. Fear kept me from ever experiencing the pink cloud, but was not enough to secure sobriety for me, much less recovery. And I do believe there is huge difference between sobriety and recovery. For me sobriety was the precursor to recovery. I needed to be sober before I could move into the recovery phase. Recovery was my introduction to the serene cloud.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

such a great post for me to read this afternoon. I haven't experienced any pink cloud nor do I expect too. I don't drink anymore and that has to be my first and last thought every day, no matter what happens.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I missed out on the pink cloud. Is all I remember was being scared, anxious, and depressed then slowly getting better.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I guess I had a 'pink cloud' experience. I felt pretty much elated for a few weeks early on (can't remember how early,, but not in the first few weeks). Just an over-exaggerated sense of well being. It faded soon enough, but the overall feeling of peace and contentment I feel now is just as good as the 'pink cloud' of happiness. I think I was truly amazed at how different it felt to be sober, compared to always being either numb or sick. So sobriety felt pretty damn good.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I must of slipped off my pink cloud and right in too the black could of recovery. Sounds cool that pink one. I got clean/sober then stated down that slippers slop of mental illness. 90 days clean and suicidal. No fun! My pink cloud was hard fought with pleanty of treatment modalities to work. Like actual work of doing/practicing and applying recovery solutions to my life. From my first addiction treatments in 1996 to today. I'm still a work in progress and I progress because of the work.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think I had the "pink cloud" experience - my life got better the day I stopped drinking and it hasn't stopped since. If I'm still on it, that's a massive cloud! Life is hard at times of course, and focusing on issues instead of avoiding them I've found almost exhilarating - I know avoiding the bad is only temporary. I guess, for me, being sober or being in recovery have been the same thing since the day I gave up alcohol.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had the pink cloud experience the last two times I was sober. This time it isn't happening, at least not yet. Maybe expecting it and understanding it is helpful in avoiding it? Time will tell. This time around, I am well aware of how fragile and tenuous my sobriety is. I have a lot more respect for the risk of relapse now that it has happened to me twice. I am hoping it will stay with me down the road when my mind and body are more healed (only on day 9 this time). Around 90 days is when the urge to drink starts back up for me, so I am going to try and prevent that from happening this time by learning ways to cope before I get there. Today I know I won't drink and that has to be enough for me right now. The pink cloud was nice because it made me feel a sense of joy in being sober that I don't have this time around, but I also suspect that my need for highs and lows in emotion are a part of why I drink in the first place.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just wish that the "pink cloud" would last longer. I did feel it the first couple of weeks. Being over joyed that I was no longer drinking. Then real life sets in. Trying to figure out how to do normal things without a drink in my hand. Like playing cards or darts sober....Challenging. I am doing it. Not a lot of socializing with others that are drinking..... God has granted me a second chance. My liver enzymes are back to normal. I will not take a chance on going back to the day in and day out of drinking again. I am choosing a Sober Life.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had that for about two weeks into the first 28 days after I quit drinking....Then the bad anxiety hit like a ton of bricks. Sure I wanted to relapse and make it stop which was why I was drinking in the first place.

I guess I’m more determined to lick both these problems and get on with a normal life, but easier said than done for now....(46 days today)
Old 03-06-2021, 01:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Better late than never

In the past when I could string together a few weeks of sobriety I guess I had my pink cloud moment which usually meant that I felt so good I wanted to go drink again.

This time around the first 3 months was like a low energy hangover feeling then about month 4 I seem to perk up feeling great and was cleaning up my diet and throwing weight around in the gym with an all new enthusiasm I hadn't felt in a long time. But then PAWS came kicking in my door to say hello and made it self nice and cozy at home with me these last couple months. At least now though it's in and out more and not just hanging around all day and trashing the place.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I feel the "pink cloud" is a derogatory term for what is really a free sample of God's grace. I took advantage of the sense of well being to get to grips with the program which for me was about reaching out to a God in whom I did not believe, through working AAs 12 steps. The consciousness of my belief came to me as promised and the early feeling of relief transformed into something more substantial, a sense of purpose and faith that has enabled me to handle everything that life has thrown at me with dignity and grace. I will never forget the feeling that came to me that at long last I was on the right track.

I now look at that period of grace like a window of opportunity. Some folks get into action before the window closes, others waste time, the window closes and they relapse. The greatest problem is no one knows how long the window will stay open for, it seems to be different for everyone. Mine was about 3 weeks, some others seem to get years, but most seem to be somewhere in between. When Joe says "take your time, it's not a race" it is quite dangerous because Joe has no way of knowing how long you have got. Joe means well, his window lasted months so he could take his time, and now he assumes it will be the same for you.

The truth is, it is a race. Will we reach safe ground or will the window close before we get started?
Old 03-30-2021, 12:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah the pink cloud seems like a real phenomenon.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ah so that's what this is. I've been calling it "sobriety honeymoon." I'm on Day 4 of my first attempt to really quit alcohol for good and I recognize all those pink cloud goodies happening to me. This was a helpful post, thank you!
Old 04-16-2021, 05:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had the pink cloud early, and it lasted months. I had discovered the secret to a whole new way of life, and then I began to accept the pink cloud as normal, and as normal it became just another day in a far better life. I never crashed. I don't think the pink cloud is a necessary experience or that it says anything about your future. But it is one Hell of a ride.

As a few others have noted, when the ride is over, it may test your resolve. You may think you are cured and can now control your drinking. This is a red flag to look out for. If you think you have failed because you fell off the cloud, that's a red flag. This is not a time to give up and get drunk. Welcome to reality, the reality that others already live in. It's not a perfect reality, but it beats a drunken stupor by a long shot.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Don't pay much mind to the "Pink Cloud" theory.

*Pink Clouding originates in Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), where the term was initially used to describe the euphoria people feel early in recovery.
"Pink Cloud" is anecdotal: it can be misleading, not necessarily trustworthy or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than medical facts or scientific research truths.