Selfish - self centeredness...

Old 06-17-2018, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Selfish - self centeredness...

Reflecting on my own and others recovery I'm often struck by the truth and veracity of the statement made on page 62, in the chapter,'How It Works' in the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed.

'Selfishness - self centeredness!That we think,is the root of our troubles. Driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity, we step on the toes of our fellows and they retaliate. Sometimes they hurt us, seemingly without provocation, but invariably we find that at some time in the past we have made decisions based on self which later placed us in a position to be hurt.

So our troubles, we think, our basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so. Above everything, we must be rid of this selfishness. We must , or it will kill us!....'

In truth, to me it's always seemed to me, on reflection, I and those like me where in full flight from reality...

Fortunately, recovery, amongst its many benefits has seen, in me an end to all this, although I'm not perfect I can soon recognise it in myself when it arises and take the appropriate action to make amends, getting others to recognise it in themselves drunk or sober is a different matter...

The explanation for which can be found in the remainder of this chapter, before and after the part I've referred to....one thing's for sure, through placing my will and life in the hands of 'the God of my understanding', in recovery,I got rid of this and now instead of being in full flight from reality. Welcome both it and Him, into not mine but His world, now that's what I call being,safe, sane and sober as I hope others do to....