Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Why do people fool themselves and claim that they are "sober" or "clean" despite using other drugs?

Why do people fool themselves and claim that they are "sober" or "clean" despite using other drugs?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On another forum I lurk/post at called blue light where there's a sober living forum that's pretty much a joke, you have people who claim to be "sober" or "clean" despite how they still drink alcohol and use drugs like cannabis/hash. People will also post threads where they tend to bend or change the definition of sobriety so that (to them) being sober or clean just means that they are not using drugs that they had an addiction to but then they use other drugs and wind up addicted to those drugs. Of course if you point this out to them they get mad or annoyed and claim how they are "sober" and "clean" despite how they still use drugs.

Why do people do this and rationalize their drug use and then also claim that they are "sober" or "clean" despite how they are actually addicted and still using drugs/alcohol?
Old 11-26-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

as I understand it, BlueLight has a policy of promoting harm reduction, rather than the policy of promoting abstinence as on this site. if their definition of "sobriety" is drinking and/or using weed whilst abstaining from harder drugs, then it's their site, so they can do what they like & you're not likely to be able to change their minds.

if your view of sobriety/abstinence more closely matches the policy of this site, why not just hang out here instead?
Old 11-26-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
as I understand it, BlueLight has a policy of promoting harm reduction, rather than the policy of promoting abstinence as on this site. if their definition of "sobriety" is drinking and/or using weed whilst abstaining from harder drugs, then it's their site, so they can do what they like & you're not likely to be able to change their minds.

if your view of sobriety/abstinence more closely matches the policy of this site, why not just hang out here instead?
I do hang out here or post here, but just infrequently as life gets busy.

Harm Reduction on bluelight is a joke and it's the reason why so many people who post on that site have died.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

OMFG, a sober forum on BlueLight?!

I never noticed that as I was trolling for information on, say, how to time a hippy flip (mushrooms and E).

That's hilarious.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Now that I'm in recovery, I would never consider visiting bluelight again. I just feel like there's nothing good for me there, really. It's getting too close to the flame.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR burningstariv

D
Old 01-12-2018, 05:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Every morning..

I like this from Marcus Aurelius,' When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself:The people I deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous and surly. They're like that because they can't tell good from evil.'

In terms of Stoic philosophy, 'good' means to try to the best of your ability to be wise, temperate,m courageous and just, 'evil' means to act shamefully towards others or yourself, sometimes both at the same time!

So it comes down to a question of perception, the only thing we really have control of are our opinions, perception and judgement...everything else, people, places, events is external...

The only power anyone really has is over their mind, realize this and you will gain strength. Sobriety is an individual responsibility, yours, not anyone elses, 'Live and let live!' right...
Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

fotographia, there are those that claim their're sober, but are addicted to the #1 killer, smoking tobacco.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

Figuring out why I do things, is pretty much a full time job for me. If I can get a handle on that, then maybe I will have spare time to figure out why other people do what they do. :~)
Old 05-19-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I always say just keep your side of the street clean. And tend to your own garden.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Thank you for this thread. It hits home with me.
From personal experience I am absolutely certain that I will end up back with the bottle if I smoke pot or do any other drugs again. One will always lead me back to the others. True sobriety is about having a completely different relationship with alcohol and anything else that alters our minds.
But everyone has to figure this out themselves just like when we all decided we had to just not drink anymore. I just pray more people can see addiction, in whatever form, for the demon it really is early on without fooling themselves for years like I did.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was unaware of the existence of Bluelight Forums before reading this thread.

So I checked it out last night.

It's really sad to read all the misery reflected in the threads and posts there.

It's rather amazing to see people sharing about the particulars of their addictions, including advice as to how to better their highs.

No pun intended, but that place is a trip.