When I'm at my best...

Old 06-15-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

When I'm at my best...

Ok, I first got sober 15th of Feb.,2008, and have remained so ever since. Fast forward to Sept., 8th 2016 when after collapsing at home I'm taken by ambulance to hospital, where a short time after my arrival I'm confronted by a surgeon who tells me that whilst he and his team are prepared to operate my chances of survival are slim and I don't even know what's wrong with me!

Five weeks later I wake up from a medically induced coma,during which time I had lost all my physical abilities and fortunately, whilst my memory remained intact, my thought processes were a bit limited...

The cause of all this, I later learned was a bacterial infection (H.pylori), followed by concerns over a lie of sepsis, which if it had spread through my blood system was almost certain to prove fatal, along with the fact that the actual recovery rate from a lengthy induced coma isn't that high and usually involves the patient suffering some disability.

All simply put in the surgeons words as my suffering a very traumatic and stressful experience, which at the time seemed to me like saying the Titanic had suffered a slight mishap when it bumped into an iceberg. My recovery from which would be a long, slow process,the final outcome of which no one could predict?

A bit like recovery, in which whilst others can share their experience, strength and hope, sobriety and the quality which is an individual responsibility. No one can do it for you...

So, after being discharged from hospital on the 5th, Dec.,2016 when I could at least stand up and walk a short distance, with aids, it was 'back to the ranch'...to start my journey on primarily,on my own.

None of which has been easy, either mentally or physically, but it does get better. Having a positive attitude to facing adversity,seen more as a blessing than a hindrance helps, along with an interest in Stoic philosophy, which is not as many misguidedly think, but about transforming emotions. Which should ring a bell to anyone in recovery from anything...not least because it contains a lot of spirituality..

I'm at my best when that I am a recovering alcoholic and I didn't get sober for any of this, placing as much reliance on my spirituality, which I've held to since way back since my recovery from drinking, to the present day, remembering all the time my sobriety comes first, and above all, always will...