First week of rehab question

Old 10-30-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First week of rehab question

When my husband realized he was losing his family unless he got treatment for his DXM addiction, he agreed to go inpatient. I know he needs to do it for himself, but he isn't there yet. He keeps saying he is doing it to get his family back (even his grown kids stopped talking to him).

He is on day 3 today, and I have noticed that he is taking great pains to communicate with me one-sided. That is, he is leaving voicemail messages on a number he knows I do not answer and get the voicemails via email. The first morning he actually did call my cell and tell me he loved me, but ever since then he has been going through withdrawal symptoms and sounds a bit irritable on the phone. One time he left me a voicemail to just go ahead and bring the divorce papers and "set him free", but that was it. I worried he was trying to leave, but when I called the center to see if he was trying to leave, they said he was doing well and participating in group (he filled out a release so they can tell me everything--no pressure from me on that).

I am trying to figure out what is going on for him. I am fine with him not talking to me for now if that is what he wants/needs, but how long will this be going on? What is this probably about? He doesn't sound mad at me now, but who knows. Before he went, I told him I can't live with him high anymore and neither can anyone else.

Is there anything that I can do to help support him other than stand back and let the pros do their thing?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Other than letting him know you support him, yes, just live your life and let the pros work on his life. I hope he has his heart in it.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think leasts advice is pretty good dejavuwife,
I imagine your husband will be a little erratic for a while.

D
Old 10-30-2017, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Erratic for sure

He just called and told me he did not like what I was doing to him, and he wanted to leave. I told him that I knew it was hard, and I loved him, and he was doing the right thing so good night.

He then called at least 10 more times, but I didn't answer (and I haven't listened to the voicemails yet).

I called the center to let them know; they thanked me and assured me they would have his counselor speak with him in the morning. I guess they have some magic tricks they use--hope they work.

I can't imagine what would happen to him if he leaves (I will not pick him up and no one else will either). All he has is some cash, and he is almost 100 miles away from home in the middle of nowhere.

I have watched him detox/withdraw before--he is all over the place for almost a week--scary stuff.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most people want to leave treatment once they detox and the mental fog starts to lift.

I think you, and the other posters, have the right idea.

I'm very happy he is in treatment.

I went through treatment and have been sober ever since.