Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Is Recovery Thinking More About Sobriety Than Thinking About Drinking ?

Old 08-09-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm just in from an early 2:35 AM morning trip out to our Jacuzzi. I was sitting out there thinking about sobriety and how I'm obsessed with these thoughts of being and staying sober day and night. It crossed my mind that it seems that I think much more about not drinking today than I ever thought about drinking in the old days (which was very often).

Your thoughts ?

A nice sober day wished for all,
M-Bob
Old 08-09-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Morning!

Yes, indeed, it is for me.

Yesterday- maybe really early today- I wrote on another thread that my alcoholism (NOT "my drinking") is my constant companion and I hold it preciously. I think of it nearly constantly, and while it is a positive thought and an emotionally sober way of living, it is also a guardian-like entity of my life of recovery. Not sure if that makes sense- I am trying to explain how its presence is now a positive thing, and something I tend to continuously. Sometimes without putting the name on it, as I learn to live better and better by faith, and sometimes literally as I handle a situation or as thoughts come up about my (former) drinking and current sobriety.

As usual, good thoughts from you!
Old 08-09-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

What a "Spiritual Awakening" did for me was release me from any and all thoughts of drinking... pro and con. I no longer think about drinking even in the mist of walking down the liquor isle at Meijer's. Sometimes I have to look back to see if that's the path I even took. An unexpected result of the the "Spiritual Awakening" is that I no longer have any need to think about not-drinking. If it sounds like I am unique in any way, read page 85 of the AA big book...

"We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality—safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."
Old 08-28-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today

I never think about drinking
but, I do think about recovery throughout each and every day.
M-Bob
Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I don't think about drinking, pro or con, much at all these days. There are far better uses of my time and emotional energy. There is so much great stuff that needs doing!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really like what August says about her thoughts being on recovery in the positive aspects of managing alcoholism and how that's a good thing. It's not a burden to think about taking care of yourself every day. Lovely.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
but, I do think about recovery throughout each and every day.
But, I do think about spiritual growth throughout each and every day.

Like; how many can dance on the head of a Da-Umm?

Old 09-01-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I find its about living rather than thinking.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Db1105 View Post
I find its about living rather than thinking.
Proverbs

A man is what he thikith.

M-Bob
Old 09-01-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I certainly feel there is truth to that.
Now, don't forget I'm in very early recovery.
But this time I actually feel and believe that I'm actually going to do it, no matter what it takes.
This is the first time I've really felt that kind of resolve and it hasn't been fleeting.
I think it's because this time I'm thinking about my Recovery from sun-up to sundown. Before I was trying not to think of getting my booze on from sun-up to sundown,
Old 09-01-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
I

this time I'm thinking about my Recovery from sun-up to sundown.
Good luck Windancer and exactly that has been working very well for over 8 years here. I don't obsess over my sobriety but, it comes to my minds eye many times each day. This site works wonders with that.
Bob
Old 09-04-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

M-Bob

Im glad I came across this post. I am dong the same thing and I was starting to get tired of it. I am thinking about not drinking all the time. Like the next minute or hour something amazing is going to happen but no just life. Its a lot of work thinking about not drinking.

One of the reasons (of many) that I decided to stop drinking was the amount of time thinking about drinking. Where, when, how.....

But now its dont drink. How am I going to go here and not drink. Sober, Sober, Sober. Sick of thinking about Sober too.

I guess it stops at some point. I realize one thing, booze is everywhere. TV, Billboards, internet, people constantly talking about it. Good lord, no wonder I was a drunk, its everywhere. Now that I want to think about Sobriety, no internet commercials about that.

I see you have lots of posts, so I am assuming you have been clean for a while. I see you are out fishing and hiking as well. Thats good. Does it calm down the thinking? Im an early risers. Too much time to think in bed. Just rambling. Nice to be able to type this stuff out.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent View Post

I see you are out fishing and hiking as well. Thats good. Does it calm down the thinking? Im an early risers.
Yes, Bent it's good for us to get out and enjoy our Sober life. Fishing, hiking and bicycle riding I think to be great and very healthy for us. Do you have a bicycle ? Many also join the gym.

Hang sober tight -- it's so worth the fight.
A fight that gets much easier in time.

M-Bob
Old 09-04-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I went for a big bike ride with my two sons today. Felt good. Came back and had a Coke and Carrots. Good stuff.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent View Post

I went for a big bike ride with my two sons today.
Regarding the above Bent -- priceless.

Staying grateful I have found to be one of the most important of sober tools.

You have a lot to be grateful for.

M-Bob
Old 09-16-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

To answer the question that is the title of this thread, yes, that is one of many great gifts of recovery.

I live a pretty normal life, best I can tell.

I am married to the lady I first started loving 41 years ago, and we would each take a bullet for each other.

I work hard, I love the people I work with (my partners) and for (my clients).

When I left the house for work today, I was wondering how I was going to complete what I need to do (I won't, so i'll have to come back on Monday), and my follow-up thought was that I wouldn't trade places with anyone else in the world.

I think about my sobriety every day, all day long.

For me, it's a gift from God and AA, in that order, and I believe that it has been given to me in stewardship to use for the benefit of God and AA.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Me and hubs were laughing at this a bit today... we were on a long car ride listing off things that are great while sober. Kinda like two fresh teenage stoners discussing all the things they like to do while high-- "Man, you ever, like, look at the stars...high? Or like watch a movie... high?"

I don't want to forget it. But I wouldn't want to get on the sombre side of that, like our old friend did. He is a textbook dry drunk, white-knuckling through life like existing is a chore, years later. Always pointing out booze, always talking about how rough everything is, always on and on about it in a way that can really put silence in a room.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well we went to a birthday party last night where there was a lot of drinking I never even thought about taking a drink it just doesn't occur to me anymore I know I'm sober and I enjoy being sober