It's a Way of Life!

Old 08-25-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

It's a Way of Life!

It wasn't until I read the last chapter of Pierre Hadot's book 'Philosophy as a Way of Life', appropriately reflecting the title of the book, in which he points out in summary the difference between 'the discourse of philosophy' adopted by those who see it as merely an academic discipline and those who adopt, with particular reference to Stoic philosophy as a way of life!

Which for me, given that in my now growing collection of books of Stoic philosophy, initially initiated by a vaguely remembered quote of Marcus Aurelius which resulted in a visit to the website ' Stoicism Today: Home of Stoic Week' sit alongside my collection of AA literature.

Saw a close link with the words of 'The Serenity Prayer' as it's mentioned in at least three of them. Sharon Lebell in her book 'A Manual for Living - Epictetus' going so far, quite rightly in my view, making the point that they could have been spoken by Epictetus, who along with Marcus Aurelius and Seneca the Younger, is one of the three noted Stoic philosophers...

The result for me, even after enjoying a prolonged and lasting period of sobriety, one day at a time, best not to get to complacent.

Is that I now see that both my practicing the philosophy and principles of recovery followed by life in sobriety offered in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' and related literature. Together with those offered by my ongoing interest in Stoic philosophy offer me a positive, constructive Way of Life way beyond those years in my drinking days, lead as a delusional alcoholic...

Perhaps because in his book 'Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous Situations', Jules Evans describes Stoic philosophy by saying,'it's a highly rational philosophy, which lacks any rituals, festivals, songs, symbols or myths. It speaks to the intellect rather than appealing to the emotions...'

Perhaps best reflected in Epictetus saying,'Man is not disturbed by things, but his view of things,' which, along with man other things said by the Stoic philosophers certainly, in my sober Stoic Way of Life, certainly resonates with me ...
Old 08-28-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Would you say Stoicism and Buddhism have similiar components? There is suffering (your thinking) ...there is a way out of suffering...
Old 08-28-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

from the book you mentioned, "Philosophy for Life...." - Philosophy is a medical art for the soul. I like that idea very much. Thank you for posting abt these books and ideas.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Most certainly...

Most certainly, in fact there's an excellent essay in 'Stoicism Today:Selected Essays' edited by Patrick Ussher, Book Two titled Reflections of a Practising Buddhist on Stoicism' by Gary Bannister, a practising Buddhist for 30 years...

You can also take a look at the website Stoicism Today Home of Stoic Week, I think there may be mention amongst the articles on there...

Either way both philosophies are as the Dalai Lama says 'the science of the mind'...

Thank you for raising this very relevant point...
Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

To correct an error...

To correct an error, the book I referred to is in fact titled,' Stoicism Today: Selected Writings 2' edited by Patrick Ussher and like the first book on the subject has some great contributions.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Very interesting. Thank you for this. More than food for thought. Worth a visit to Amazon.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Highly recommended...

Highly recommended...I won't list all my growing collection of books here, but drop us a line and I'll send you the details, a stand out book is Jacob Needleman John P. Piazza,' The Essential Marcus Aurelius'
Old 08-29-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

"Way of life" - Yes.
"Philosophy" - No.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Redmayne

You may possibly be right...

You may be right, but I couldn't possibly comment....
Old 10-17-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just started International Stoic Week.
I became interested in Stoicism over the last few weeks and have many parallels with secular and spiritual paths and philosophies I have been studying over the last few years.
The similarities to the 12 Step path are obvious as well as to Buddhism despite the fact that Stoics took a very secular view in the application of the philosophy. A religious belief system is not required to apply the 12 Steps or Dharma either. I'm enjoying reading works that really resonates with me, Epictetus, Seneca and Aurelius.
Stoic Week 2016 takes place from 17th to 23rd October
Old 10-17-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too Johno Looking forward to learning more -