'To be yourself ...'

Old 06-25-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

'To be yourself ...'

Balancing my recovery against all the hullabaloo that's going on in the UK, Europe, the financial markets, the 'meeja' (media) etc. against the recent decision in the EU Referendum to leave the European Union.

I find myself drawn to a saying by Emerson which I have on my desk in front of my computer screen,

' To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment,'

Which not only reflects some of the views held by my fellow citizens but perhaps more importantly for me, given my drinking nearly killed me and has certainly taken the lives of people I've known both personally and publicly ...

Like most things in life, it seems to me that recovery is a question of perspective governed, certainly in mine and I'm sure many others an uncompromising, determination to be yourself...
Old 06-25-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

'Well I try my best to be just like I am,
But everybody wants you to be like them,
They say -'sing while you slave', and I just get bored.
Naw, I ain't gonna work on Maggie's Farm no more . . .'"

Ralph Waldo Zimmerman.......
Old 06-25-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
waking down

Or Robert maybe?

Thanks for the quote, Redmayne. It's not always easy to be oneself. It seems like the whole world wants me to drink, and people seem disappointed, sometimes borderline offended, when I say no. Whatever. I am what I am.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

What's up to us ...

Given the 'feeding frenzy' that's currently taking place in the UK political classes in the aftermath of the result of the European Referendum,two things are obvious,

1. The only certainty in life is its uncertainty.

2. Whatever the outcome, which by general agreement by all involved, may take years, it'll certainly, metaphorically speaking 'sort the men from the boys.'

Therefore it follows that for people like me and many others in recovery, in situations like this who value both it and our sobriety it's a good idea top, using that quote from Emerson, to 'step back' and prioritise, when the world around us is in a state of flux what really matters ...or recovery.

As Epictetus said, 'Man is not disturbed by things but his view of things,' he also made the perfectly valid point that we have to decide,'what's up to us.' ...