When being sober isn't enough

Old 03-03-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When being sober isn't enough

I know some people don't like hearing people get frustrated when just "being sober" isn't enough for them. I'm typically not a materialistic person and don't keep track of what I don't have very often, but I do have those days where I fall back a little and dwell a little on what I don't have. If I'm being honest I am getting a little impatient with the "gifts of recovery". I'm pushing up on 2 years and other than being sober.. nothing much has come through. I never would have thought that I would still be having issues with employment this far out. I put myself in a hard position where I am highly educated, but can't work in my field due to addiction. So even "get well jobs" turn me down because they know something is wrong if I am applying for lower level jobs with my education. Also, it is not just me that feels this way. My support (family) are also becoming very frustrated with me not making progress in life. Just being sober is no longer acceptable... and I have to agree with them. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm not talking about being 1-2 months out expecting everything to fall into place... when you have over a year and seemingly fixable things aren't fixed.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John

I'm sorry you're still having trouble finding employment. I assume you're doing everything you can tho, so I hope your luck changes soon

I think I'd blame drinking for the predicament you're in tho, not recovery.

Sometimes it can take a long time to sort through all the debris that years of drinking leaves behind...but you can do it John.

Recovery at least gives you the chance to be open and ready for any opportunities that might come along?

D
Old 03-03-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I greatly improved my sobriety, and my whole life, when I started to practice gratitude every day. It makes me focus on the positives instead of the negatives.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sure you've tried everything, but just in case...I started creating versions of my resume that listed only the experience and education relevant to the position I was applying for and calling it "Related Experience" and "Related Education." Like you, I have multiple degrees and have had some lofty sounding job experience and people assumed I would have attitude when they saw it all.

When I tightened up my resume to be focused and only one page, I started getting more interviews.

It's brutal out there, I know. Sending you support.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

At some point I realized that I needed more than just an "End of drinking" program and started looking for an "End of suffering" program.

I found it in Refuge Recovery:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5306484
Old 03-03-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I'm not blaming recovery for my issues, I know it was my drinking and drug use. I'm just saying that pushing up on 2 years of recovery I expected to be in a better position... like I said I'm not one of those guys who expected everything in a month. I do practice gratitude, but I'm not perfect at it. I have days where I am completely fine with everything and others where I can't get the poor me's out of my head no matter what I do. Its not just work, but that's a big part of it. As far as doing all I can... I just started counting all my application receipts in my email since 2014... I have counted 1700 already and I still have 3 more months worth to count. I spend 2-6 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week filling them out depending on what I find. My resume is at its best. I have 3 degrees, but I don't have diverse work experience so it is sort of a one size fits all. Thanks for letting me vent... I'll be better tomorrow or the next day or the day after that, but I'll never accept sobriety as just not drinking/using because that's still not living.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll never accept sobriety as just not drinking/using because that's still not living.
no, its not- and yes it is more than that.

Not drinking was simply the initial phase of my self 'makeover'

I've faced some pretty heavy things sober and lost some things very important to me - but I still look forward to every new day.

I hope you see an upturn in fortunes soon John.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am sorry to you are having issues finding a job, been there.

I have my MBA and completed some of the largest financing deals in our country yet I needed out of that world and ended up on a farm, unfortunately for me the pressure of ending up with 100+ employees and the hours led to relapse, so today I work for myself.

What I know John is custom your resume for the position, leave out your accomplishments and it will happen. Put yourself in your employers shoes as they are looking for someone who can do the job and stay.

All the best
Andrew
Old 03-18-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Keep at it.

Things have come slowly for me as well, but over time they have still improved.

The real gift of recovery is that I get myself back. I can look in the mirror. That has taken a lot more work than mere abstinence. That said, not using is a miracle every day.

Early on my sponsor told me something that has stuck with me. He told me that if I stayed clean and followed this new way of life that "It" might or might not get better. It could very well get worse. However, he told me that if I did those things that I could get better. He didn't lie. That has made all the difference.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jackedjohn View Post
Thank you everyone. I'm not blaming recovery for my issues, I know it was my drinking and drug use. I'm just saying that pushing up on 2 years of recovery I expected to be in a better position... like I said I'm not one of those guys who expected everything in a month. I do practice gratitude, but I'm not perfect at it. I have days where I am completely fine with everything and others where I can't get the poor me's out of my head no matter what I do. Its not just work, but that's a big part of it. As far as doing all I can... I just started counting all my application receipts in my email since 2014... I have counted 1700 already and I still have 3 more months worth to count. I spend 2-6 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week filling them out depending on what I find. My resume is at its best. I have 3 degrees, but I don't have diverse work experience so it is sort of a one size fits all. Thanks for letting me vent... I'll be better tomorrow or the next day or the day after that, but I'll never accept sobriety as just not drinking/using because that's still not living.
Wow, I'm impressed with your persistence and don't blame you for being discouraged. I do hope you keep at it.