I remember ...

Old 01-05-2016, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I remember ...

In recovery, hopefully followed by prolonged and lasting sobriety, it's often suggested, by way of consistent motivation that we remember certain things pertinent to us to assist us.

So here are a few of the things I remember ...

I remember that Bill W's friend, Ebbie Thatcher, who introduced him to the idea of 'the God of my understanding', see 'Bill's Story' in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous', died of alcoholism.

I remember Carl Sandburg said, 'A society ( or individual, my words) that forgets where it came from, will destroy itself.'

I remember the Buddha saying,'If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.'

But above all, I remember that alcoholism is the only disease/illness that'll kill you whilst at the same time telling you, you haven't got it.

No doubt others who read this can add their own things that they remember that aid and enhance their recovery, please, by way of sharing our experience, strength and hope, feel free to do so. I, for one look forward to reading them...
Old 01-05-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
But above all, I remember that alcoholism is the only disease/illness that'll kill you whilst at the same time telling you, you haven't got it.
Nice quote, that's pretty much how it was/is with me. For me the biggest breakthrough was learning to recognise a craving and understanding it for being the brain's addictive yearning that it is. I had never stopped to think about that before and just concentrated on giving it what it asked for.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

All recovery centres in the mind...

All recovery, whether from addiction to anything, which of course includes alcohol and alcoholism. The first being caused by a mental obsession, the latter mental obsession and a physical allergy, see 'The Doctor's Opinion' in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous', centres in the mind.

The Stoic philosopher, Marcus Aurelius was and still is on the right track when he said,'Remember, it's easy to live a happy life, it's all within you, in your way of thinking.'