Seriously laughing at myself...

Old 09-05-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Seriously laughing at myself...

Ever since I was a young boy I've always been a keen and voracious reader. No surprise then, at some time in my 'drinking history' a copy of the 4th Edition of the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' fell into my hands.

Whilst I'm not yet old enough to be wise, I am old enough to be philosophical. Reflecting on this nothing that seriously drove home the message the content of the book was provided on p.30, the first page of the Chapter 3,'More About Alcoholism' in the line,'The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.' Which said all that needed to be said to me about my drinking.

Turning to p.31 with specific reference to the paragraph that starts 'Here are some of the methods: ...' and finishing with,'-we could increase the list ad infinitum' made me laugh at myself, even now, because I like I'm sure many others who've read it was perfectly capable of doing that!

Learning to seriously laugh at myself, taught me two things. Firstly to recognise and accept I suffered from alcoholism and that I should concentrate my efforts on pursuing and practicing what was being offered to me in the book. In my case also assisted by listening to one of 'Charlie & Joe's: Big Book Study Meetings'. Which goes a long way to providing a greater knowledge and understanding of it, including their own ability to laugh at themselves.

Whilst at the same time putting all my other activities aside, other than those necessary commitments and responsibilities, that we all have, necessary for my daily existence.

Secondly, once recovery followed by prolonged and hopefully, a day at a time, lasting sobriety, to then and only then. Resume those activities that enhanced my physical , mental and spiritual welfare... which taught me to be more philosophical, with particular regard to the fact that whilst I no longer drink. I will always have the disease/illness of alcoholism.

The philosophical approach, in recovery allows me to seriously laugh at myself, not just others. Which I feel is a key component of both mine and anyone else's recovery...
Old 09-06-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Yes, Redmayne.
For me, laughing at myself is a lot healthier than beating myself up.
And if I start to beat myself up over some mistake . . .
I can laugh at that.

It's like internal slapstick humour.
Me, myself and I:
The Three Stooges.

Stopping drinking was just the start of being kinder to myself.

At the end of the day, humour is far better than rancour.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Laughing is the best and so very healing. Of course I only works if you're sober!