A peaceful, sober, happy existence...

Old 06-13-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A peaceful, sober, happy existence...

Listening to my copy of one of 'Joe and Charlie's Big Book Study' meetings, this referring to the late, Joe McQuany and Charlie Parmley.

I was struck by there saying that the primary object of the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' was to help those suffering from alcoholism, recover and live a peaceful, sober, happy existence...

For me, this is the epitome of recovery,given that, like most of us in
recovery, all I wanted to know was why I couldn't stop drinking and in doing so, the exact nature of myn disease/illness and the steps necessary to deal with it. Which, by its very nature includes, when and where the opportunity arose, to help others recover.

A prime online example of which being SRC and the facilities it provides, not discounting the opportunities in society itself. Whatever path or program you choose.

It all leads back to the aforementioned primary objective, which as Joe and Charlie, towards the end of their talk, suggests make us the luckiest people in the world.

On this basis, in recovery, on reflection, it leaves a lot to be thankful for and to be constantly aware of in dealings with both others and myself, not least as there are those,some known to me, who never make it into recovery let alone prolonged and lasting sobriety...
Old 06-13-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A wonderful post, thank you.

I just got into listening to speaker tapes and I really like Bob D and his Big Book studies. I will definitely be checking out your recommendation too.