There was always something else...

Old 06-13-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

There was always something else...

Following the recent and much publicised demise of a deservedly much loved and respected figure, both in politics and in life, here in the UK. Death, from the post mortem being attributed to a haemorrhage linked to his alcoholism.

Amongst those former friends, colleagues and acquaintances, there was one, who for me as a recovering alcoholic, who stood out. Himself, a recovering alcoholic who publicly campaigns on the subjects of alcohol and alcoholism, said as a friend of the deceased the talked about his drinking problem, presumably including his own. On a few occasions, even relatively recently, from which he gained the impression, that the deceased, felt that there was always something else e.g. talks, lectures, presentations, involving his commitment to the community. That provided a more demanding distraction than taking some positive action that would involve taking the steps necessary to get into recovery...

Whether others wish to construe this as him being,'in a state of denial' I make no comment nor take an issue, that's for others to judge.

For those, who like me and countless others have suffered long and hard,'under the lash of John Barleycorn,' and adopted a determined, uncompromising or intimidating, which in the US, is the description of a 'bad ass', position towards our recovery from alcoholism, and all those to follow.

I don't think, by way of simply sharing my, experience, strength and hope that there is ever, on a daily basis, 'There was (or is) always something else...no matter what your role, responsibilities or commitments in life are.

Simply said on the basis, as I'm sure many in recovery would agree, without my sobriety, there's no me... to do anything, either for others or myself.

The irony, a word not much used or known about in the US, is that in this case the 'something else' was not of his or others making, it was attributed it was, albeit indirectly, linked to his alcoholism. He died alone...

The idea ,'That there was (or is) always something else, more pressing, to distract us from our recovery, is, in these circumstances, a salutory warning to us all, before, during and after, even in prolonged and hopefully lasting sobriety to us all...

As where, to ourselves first and others, our responsibilities lie...acting, in whatever capacity, to promote the good of others is, under normal circumstances, highly commendable, however for those, who like me suffer from the illness/disease of alcoholism, it best to remember before anyone or anything our responsibilities, whether individually or as a community, come first!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I KNOW it was intended for me to get more out of this reading then I did I just find it difficult to understand sometimes.

What was clear to me is:
"Without sobriety there is no me!"
Old 06-13-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Having traveled to this exemplary part of the World repeatedly, the Cultural Setting of this tragedy hits Home.

Further insight - good/bad/ugly - is provided by the 'Comments' appended to the Article at the bottom of the Webpage.

- Charles Kennedy Funeral ~ The Scotsman.com -