Ignorance, recognition and acceptance...

Old 06-02-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Ignorance, recognition and acceptance...

The premature death of a high profile public figure here in the UK in the past few days, of whom the it's right to say, he was that rare thing in both life and politics. A thoroughly good, honest, decent human being, with further tributes being paid from all quarters has left me and many others, stunned, grief stricken and speechless.

As details surrounding these tragic events, provided by colleagues, acquaintances and friends, together with his own words it becomes apparent that they and he were, to a greater or lesser degree, aware that he had problems with alcohol.

Regrettably, having regard to all the circumstances, and this is the great tragedy for everyone, above everything, it makes three pertinent points for us all...

Alcohol is a disease/illness of ignorance, that extends both to the drinker and those surrounding them.

Recognition and acceptance of its existence in anyone is necessary, in anyone before recovery can begin.

Left unacknowledged and unattended, like many illnesses or diseases the condition worsens to a point, where it can become fatal...

Of course, there is nothing new in my saying any of this, given that many people die from this disease/illness everyday in, what is sad, is the amount of ignorance displayed both the deceased and those around him as to the exact nature of it i.e. that it's an illness/disease, NOT a vice and the necessity to recognise and accept it as that in order to effect anyones recovery...
Old 06-03-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

- Charles Kennedy Article ~ The Scotsman -
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I can totally relate to that. When I was drinking I had no idea just how bad it was. I rotated liquor stores because I was too embarrassed to be buying a pint a night at the same store. Still my problem was largely hidden from my conscious. The toxic effects of the alcohol destroyed my ability to reason this out.
I have been finding out that even without the poisoning that is actually how our brains work. People can be bias, irrational, in denial even if they don't drink at all. No wonder it is so hard to break free from.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As far as I know the reasons for his death haven't been revealed yet. Alcoholics can have heart attacks too...

It was well known that Mr Kennedy was an alcoholic and had been for years.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Quite right...

Quite right....highlighted, for me at least here in the UK, by a news report, last night that here in the North West , the five black spots for alcohol related deaths, injuries, illnesses and other incidents, directly or indirectly related to alcohol, are here. Predominantly in and around the Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Lancashire areas...a sobering thought.