A timely reminder...

Old 02-09-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A timely reminder...

I've found, amongst many other things in recovery that whilst I'm now enjoying a prolonged and hopefully lasting period of sobriety. One day at a time. It does well, acting sometimes as a timely reminder, particularly when confusion reigns, metaphorically speaking providing a distraction that 'blows me off course'.

To remind myself, by reading some of the AA literature or listening to the modest collection of cd's in my possession of noted AA speakers.

That I suffer from the disease/illness of alcoholism of which alcohol and my consumption of it, was just a symptom. The -ism, in the word alcoholism, representing a life now lead in reality, as opposed to the delusional existence lead in my drinking days.

Which includes the fact that sobriety is a challenge in itself, although by no means an unpleasant one when you consider the alternative.

On this basis, it's of primary importance for me and those who like me suffer the same illness keep that thought at the forefront of our minds. Not least as we all, at any one time exist in the state of our minds. Although there are many , who in these times of what sociologists refer to as a time of 'high modernity' e.g. the internet, smart 'phones. etc., etc. otherwise. Particularly the gods of the 'meeja' (media) etc. who would have us think that they do.

Worth bearing in mind then, in Sun Tzu's book 'The Art of War' the saying,'You must control events, otherwise events will control you.'

Which I think is a timely reminder to anyone, not least those in recovery, like me.