Memories.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Memories.

In recovery, I've always been a firm believer in the suggestion that it's alright to look back, but you mustn't stare ...

For me, there is no better reason given than in the opening lines of Chapter 2 of Robert Goddard's fictional thriller, 'Fault Line' in which he says,

'Memories are more than recollected experiences. They're displacements of ourselves in time and space. They're events our younger self witnessed and participated in, recalled by an older self whom often wonders if he's truly the same person. They're visions off people we once knew. And, bewilderingly, we are one of those people.'

Although whether he was saying this of himself or the central character in the book, who are both men of slightly similar age to myself, both younger. There is no reference so it's best, to my mind left as a profound observation on life and our passage through it, itself.

Nevertheless, in recovery, taking into account all that's passed in my life, including time spent in my drinking days and where my life is now I see it as a perfect explanation as to why I should avoid any temptation to stare back at my past.

I wonder if others in a similar position feel that way to?

I also take heart from the closing line of the book,'The future. Uncharted territory. Old ends and new beginnings. The story of part - or all - of the rest of my life.'

Which I believe is there for all of us in recovery.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Memories. I really like the way you put it here. Personally, I feel like memories are just that. We can recall them fondly, with sadness, regret, joy, anger and countless other emotions. But what do we DO with them? I truly believe we experience things in life in order that others might LEARN. To experience is to learn, to remember is knowledge, and knowledge is to be shared.

Thanks for this post.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Self reliance and experience.

Whilst not yet old enough to be wise, I am old enough to be philosophical.Which allows me to reflect on a life, drunk or sober that's been built on my own self reliance and experience. Thy are not infallible, but good or bad, they're mine and no one can take them from me.

Of course this means that what I do with them and how I use them to shape my life is mine also.

Emphasised by the fact that as we all, at any one point in our lives, exist in our state of mind. Although others might try to convince us otherwise, the Gods of commerce, the 'meeja'(media) and politicians being among the 'usual suspects.

As someone who is a keen proponent of Buddhist philosophy/psychology and academically and experientially qualified in education and teaching. I'm know it's correct to say that just as all life is impermanence it's just as true say that all life is based on experiential learning.

Thank you for your comments and observations.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, I think its normal to have memories of our own. We just have to recall all those good times and forget what makes you sad. We must learn to move forward and approach what we have at present and get ready for a bright new day in the future
Old 02-10-2015, 01:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Of course you're right...

Of course you're right,it pays to be selective in our memories and above all to remember that whilst it's ok to look back you mustn't stare!

It's also the case that for those like me, for whom in recovery alcohol is no longer a problem, that I suffer from the disease/illness of alcoholism in which. Apart from the delusional existence lead in my drinking days, my perception of reality isn't the same as others ....

Perhaps best described along the lines of being an egomaniac with an inferiority complex...which meant at times, I was far to often my own worst enemy.

A common trait amongst alcoholics like me.