I failed ...

Old 02-28-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I failed ...

It's well known that alcoholism, bankrupts you physically, mentally and spiritually...

In recovery and eventual lasting sobriety. Six years now, although there's no room for complacency, one day at a time!

I had ,until, life itself brought a sudden realization, ain't that always the way? Not realized how much, as a person, I'd changed...

Physically, after 30 years of drinking, I'd come to accept the vicissitude's of aging, in which no doubt my consumption of alcohol, had played its part..along with those conditions that accompany the aging process...

The saying,'Growing old, is like being found guilty of a crime you didn't commit' always brings a smile to my face...

Spiritually I'd both attempted to enlarge and make progress in my spiritual life. Widening my interest and knowledge of all things pertaining to or associated with it, i.e.taking an interest in fundamental Buddhist philosophy/psychology, same thing really. Plus a few other, relative things...all of which I retain an interest in...

Mentally, I failed to distracted by my physical and spiritual interests, to allow , in sobriety. My own self dignity and pride, in myself as the person I once was, before my disease/illness struck me down...

Obviously, in six years you'd have thought I'd have paid attention to that! Doh! Perhaps my neglect was caused by the fact that, about the same time I was relieved of my alcoholism, I moved to a strange, nondescript town, I now have, through a mixture of choice and circumstance, no family,other than my son and his and no friends...

I'm not complaining about this, as I enjoy my solitude, but don't like being lonely, as happens now and again.

If my recovery is to be complete, there's obviously a concerted need to restore these two qualities, that are important in all our lives...

As Carl Sandberg said,'A society (or individual, my words) that forgets where it comes from. Will destroy itself'. I've come to far and suffered to long to let that happen..

So, I think it's time for another read of my collection of AA literature, not least the 'Big Book'accompanied by a listen to my cd's, of 'Charlie and Joe' explaining the meaning of its contents, 'Clancy' and Jack Brennan...

All of whom played a big part in my recovery, not forgetting the god of my understanding. Who put them, it and me all together and will no doubt rectify the omission of my failing to pay attention to my own self dignity and pride, in both him and me...
Old 02-28-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why don't you try volunteering? You'll get out and meet people while helping your community. It's been very good for me.