Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

That thirst that only a beer can quench ;( what to do?

Old 02-03-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wen on here about a year back convinced that if I drank in moderation I would be fine. All about control. Wrong concept and wrong approach I later found out. Back here and this time for real have been doing fine but today I feel a thirst and the only thing that I can imagine quenching it is a beer. Drinking lemonade right now, "will power I the test"
Old 02-03-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's your mind messing with you - actually nothing beats water as a thirst quencher
You'll be glad you stayed sober when you wake up tomorrow

Here are some tried and tested ideas on how to deal with cravings:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

welcome back fufu
D
Old 02-03-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I love anything long, cold and fizzy. Drinking pepsi max right now. I should drink more water really but I am naughty xxxxx
Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I drank for 30+ years and claimed I drank "for the taste". The moment that I had a Spiritual Awakening I saw the truth. It was all just delusional thinking.

There is no beer as tasty as root-beer and no ale that can quench my thirst better than ginger-ale.
:
Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks... I didn't drink. Have any of you ever felt like your achievements aren't enough. Trying to get out bed every morning, smile on your face, be polite, motivate your self, control your actions, it's like it's not enough. Not even sure if you are giving it your all because you haven't given your all for such a long time. Don't know how else to explain it ;(
Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I drank for 30+ years and claimed I drank "for the taste". The moment that I had a Spiritual Awakening I saw the truth. It was all just delusional thinking. There is no beer as tasty as root-beer and no ale that can quench my thirst better than ginger-ale. :
. Same as me I would claim the taste of alcohol to be the reason why I drank. Funny enough was also bent on trying to get dunk quick them maintain the level. Stupid ;(
Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In early recovery getting through the day sober and without killing anyone was achievement enough.

Thirst quenching wise, I feel like I felt with my anxiety by pouring beer on it. What I didn't realise was that water and tea did the trick just as well. Sometimes that uncontrollable thirst is anxiety not actual thirst. But I remember being sober a bit and being surprised when I actually felt thirsty. I thought that only happened because of hangovers...
Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
In early recovery getting through the day sober and without killing anyone was achievement enough. Thirst quenching wise, I feel like I felt with my anxiety by pouring beer on it. What I didn't realise was that water and tea did the trick just as well. Sometimes that uncontrollable thirst is anxiety not actual thirst. But I remember being sober a bit and being surprised when I actually felt thirsty. I thought that only happened because of hangovers...
thought that only happened in hangovers.... LOLLOL.... So there is hope
Old 02-04-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find that most of my cravings are sugar based.

After you (the plural 'you') quit drinking, the body loses a massive supply of sugar, which is just as addictive as alcohol in many respects but is kept in check by the sugars in food. However the un-natural sugars in processed foods and sweets is not enough, and the body cries out for more nutritious sugar to make up the total (which should then be converted into glucose). Unfortunately, addiction doesn't discriminate between good and bad sugars, so tells you to drink up, because what it does recognise, is Quantity.

So naturally, knowing that it can get huge batch of sugary calories from beer, it tells you to seek beer out. You can short circuit this with a good old fashioned fruit binge. Apples, melons, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, bananas, anything. There is no such thing as too much fruit. All the stuff earlier about changing routines and everything is golden advice, but if you want a quick, in the moment, remedy... hit that fruit aisle.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by fufu View Post
Thanks... I didn't drink. Have any of you ever felt like your achievements aren't enough. Trying to get out bed every morning, smile on your face, be polite, motivate your self, control your actions, it's like it's not enough. Not even sure if you are giving it your all because you haven't given your all for such a long time. Don't know how else to explain it ;(
I had some dark days, Fufu, that I would describe exactly like this. I was angry, I was anxious, I was frustrated, I was depressed. Everything seemed futile and miserable. I knew I was in some sort of hole.
But, when I quit, I got the biggest shot in the arm. I finally found something that I was giving my all to, and I was going to succeed no matter what. I immediately felt that fog lift and the sun come out. I wasn't in a hole after all, and I now understood that since I could quit drinking, I could do just about any dam thing I put my mind to.

You can do it to, fufu, there is nothing special in the least about me. Nothing special at all, except the fact that I did it. I quit drinking, and you can do it too.

Best to you.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Arizona iced tea, Arnold Palmer variety, tasty when cold and quenches my thirst for Budweiser!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been drinking "green juices" daily, as well as lemon / cayenne water every morning. It has helped. And it is cheaper than wine!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Water is the best quencher of thirst. Alcohol actually dehydrates you.

You are just dealing with the obsession of the mind, now thats very simple to deal with.
The 12 Steps of AA seem to work very well, and if you follow it as its laid out in the book, you have a very good chance of being recovered.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Had to admit at last that will power had nothing to do with it for me.

For me I got involved in Alcoholics Anonymous. Made a commitment to open meeting and make coffee, got a sponsor, got busy with step taking, got a job going, got a G-d of my understanding .... when the sugar cravings came, I got a ice cream. Sponsor said it was a good idea. I got busy. Those things got me out of my head and I started believing it was possible to live without drinking on a day-to-day basis.

Then one day I noticed ... I hadn't had a drink in a really long time and it felt good enough to keep going.

I hope this happens for you too.