Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

What's the funnest thing you've done since getting sober?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

have they been big things?

little things?

things you couldn't have done until you got sober?

Let's share the fun!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Walk along cliff tops and admiring views (with barriers and a safe environment). I was scared of heights when I was drinking. xx
Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me only small things so far since I'm on Day 10... I consciously try to do something small for fun every day, I plan them in a scheduling and calendar sort of way. Things that I know I like from experience based on my older days: go to a museum, watch a movie, walks in my city admiring the buildings or go to the park, I am also starting evening classes soon... oh and reading books and articles, I am a reading junkie sober Will be interesting to potentially discover entirely new things that I like at a later stage, but for now I'm sticking with the small ones.

Kate, I also developed a fear of heights with drinking, I never had that before. So bad I was even afraid of stairways. How crazy.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I got a personal trainer.
I'm not feeling too funny at this moment, though...!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^^^
Old 01-16-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
For me only small things so far since I'm on Day 10... I consciously try to do something small for fun every day, I plan them in a scheduling and calendar sort of way. Things that I know I like from experience based on my older days: go to a museum, watch a movie, walks in my city admiring the buildings or go to the park,
Congrats on 10 days.

I think scheduling fun activities is super smart during early recovery. Boredom and just too much time on our hands can make the days longer and harder than they need to be!

I had to come up with new "what to do with myself in the evening" activities...I did a lot of housework and hiking at odd hours.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I think my funnest times sober are similar to the ones I had before I got sober...head out hiking to the middle of nowhere, take off into the woods to see what I can see. That's how I spent today, climbing around in the desert scrub. Came across a herd of nearly 100 elk!

A BIG difference as far as fun activities is that now my BF is sober too! We had split up because he was essentially drunk every minute he was not at work. But now he is sober and we have our fun outings again, or even just being home together in the evening talking or watching a movie is SO much better than the ultra depressing never do anything drinking days.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Threshold - I'm headed out to do the same !!! First hiking trip to Tucson area. I'm so excited I can barely contain myself !!! Dove Mountain.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Threshold - I'm headed out to do the same !!! First hiking trip to Tucson area. I'm so excited I can barely contain myself !!! Dove Mountain.
I LOVE hiking around Tuscon! Watch out for Mt Lions...they are more prevalent there than here.

I'm jealous...haven't been down to Tuscon area for a couple years.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Being in the moment with my son and daughter. One of the better moments was taking them ice skating on our pond.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

I get up not wandering what I did. Nice feeling.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mountain biking some really hairy trails in my State. Gashed knee, wobbly legs, terrified out of my mind...total adrenaline rush
Old 01-20-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The funniest/most fun thing I've done since sober was a little music game we invented this weekend. Seriously I haven't laughed until I couldn't breath like this in a long time. I suggest you give it a go!

So someone pulls up lyrics to a song (rap songs make for the best laughs). Hand the lyrics to whoever's turn it is, where they then have to sing it either as a love song or heartbroken country tune. It is sooooooo funny!