Sick people in AA--does dysfunction matter?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Check out different meetings as well. Early in my sobriety I went to a whack load of meetings, floating about around the city trying to soak it all in - I wanted to know what it was like at other groups.

And boy, they can be quite different.

Some groups are huge, others tiny, some have a festive feel, others very somber, some focus on the big book, others have no big book, some have strong sponsorship, others are cliquish, some are hardcore, some are middle of the road. Regardless, everyone finds what they seek. I wanted strong sponsorship, big book based and good sobriety. There was lots to choose from. So there are options, and you can certainly change home groups.

But as the other fabulous responses have stated, there are all kinds in AA, and navigating through it might be a bit of a challenge, but trust your instincts, or if they're still on the fritz , ask a trusted AA friend or sponsor.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

How can you go to an AA meeting and NOT experience dysfunction? Stop judging and start learning from their stories and healing yourself.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've been going to the same meetings for well over 20 yrs.

Some days I sit at the table and it's full of the biggest bunch of A$$es you'd ever want to meet. Other days, the table is full of my best friends....

It's usually the same folks sitting at the same tables.. just my mood/perception changes.

If things aren't looking right, it's usually time to look in the mirror and talk to my sponsor.

All the best.

Bob R