AA Question

Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Question

I have seen at tons of meetings where someone gets an AA coin, token, chip, whatever your group calls it.
They all hand it around the table and everybody looks at it.

That was never explained to me.
Anybody?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"We recover"

I see it, and I am speaking only for myself, as a symbolic gesture. We did this.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

It's so the newcomers can look at it and see that the program works. I usually look at them and visualize myself being sober for x amount of years. It's just a tradition we do.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I usually say a little prayer for the person who received the chip when it comes to me.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you say table, you mean the one at the front where the speaker sits? Or is this meeting held around a conference table?

This may just be idle curiosity. I have never seen what you describe and I am interested in all the different meeting customs.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
When you say table, you mean the one at the front where the speaker sits? Or is this meeting held around a conference table?

This may just be idle curiosity. I have never seen what you describe and I am interested in all the different meeting customs.
No, I guess its like a bunch of tables in a circle, basically.
I think what you are thinking of is more of a speaker meeting.

The kind Im referring to would be a step meeting or general meeting, where everyone has an opportunity to speak.

Maybe its different elsewhere. ?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you. I have never seen anyone do this hand-around thing with chips that you describe. Nor have I seen a meeting with tables such as you describe--they pretty much leave the furniture the same no matter what kind of meeting it is.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes, I have seen this done before many times. People pray over it, or just send lovingkindness. I'm a nontheist, but I think the intent behind this custom is really loving and positive.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've never seen that. Usually the lead would ask if anyone was celebrating an AA anniversary and if so he was recognized and came up, said how long, got the chip and applause. I like the idea of passing the chip around so all and hold it.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We do this at all the meetings I go to, it's just to put some positivity into the coin. I also like to see how different the various coins feel, all I have is a 24 hour coin and it's so cheap and plastic, but the year ones are nice and heavy and metal. I can't wait to get one for myself!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
I have seen at tons of meetings where someone gets an AA coin, token, chip, whatever your group calls it.
They all hand it around the table and everybody looks at it.

That was never explained to me.
Anybody?
Been a member of AA since '95 and only just saw this happen a couple weeks ago. I pocketed the coin then put it in the collection basket at the end of the meeting. I'm not a big fan of people making a big "look at me" deal out of doing what they're supposed to be doing.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post

Depending where you go the hall may have tables set up cafateria style. Seen plenty of that at big churches, libraries, schools, masonic halls, and various buildings that rent to AA. Most common that I've seen in smaller groups is arranging tables in a circle if the hall has tables, in bigger meetings it's not practical.

My home group has tables in front and rear and chairs along the walls and in rows in the center of the hall.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Never saw that custom myself. I did see people approach the recipient of a coin after the meeting and ask to see it.

I agree with soberlicious that while I'm not into AA, I thought this was a nice and supportive thing to do.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by TSDD View Post
Been a member of AA since '95 and only just saw this happen a couple weeks ago. I pocketed the coin then put it in the collection basket at the end of the meeting. I'm not a big fan of people making a big "look at me" deal out of doing coin what they're supposed to be doing.
I'm sorry; am I understanding this right......? You took someone else's coin, that they earned, and instead of letting it continue around the room and returning it to it's owner, you put it in the collection basket.....? So you're 'not a big fan...' does that give you the right to.........? Funny, I gave up being the center of the universe when I started out in recovery; I'm no longer the director; folks don't only have to play by my rules, any more. .....and btw, it's not the person who earned the coin making a big deal; it's the rest of the group making a deal.

(o:
Old 11-09-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yea, so what... If you can't celebrate sobriety with a bunch of recovered drunks, then who can you??
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

In Grand Rapids, MI we do this at all meetings. A lot of people call holding the coin, "Putting their Mojo on it." I have no idea what others do but I pray that they will have continued sobriety and eventually die sober but I may be a little weird at least that is what my wife tells me. It is one of those wierd unwritten aa traditions around these parts. I thought they did it everywhere but I guess not
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Ya, MIRecovery..... A LOT of what happens in Mich meetings is unique to this state.

Like others have said, when I was new it was my chance to see a 1yr, 7yr, 30yr or whatever year token. Now, it's an opportunity for me to say a prayer over the coin and pass it on.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Interesting. I've never seen that up here in Toronto and I've been to quite a few meetings over the years.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In the meetings i go to (young peoples meetings) we have a pretty big turnout. All I have is the 24 hour coin, the silver one. But whenever someone gets the one month coin its pretty celebratory. Lots of hugs and pride. May sound dumb and juvenile, but I'm really really excited to get my 1 month coin. It will kind of be a reward and milestone for all my hard work.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
cfm

Those chips stem from the age old tradition that when people were new they were given a special nickle ( phone booths back then too) and told not to part with it. If they wanted to drink that was to be used to call his or her sponsor. Chips kinda have grown out of that. Don't need a coin for a cell phone.