AA Question

Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cfm View Post
Those chips stem from the age old tradition that when people were new they were given a special nickle ( phone booths back then too) and told not to part with it. If they wanted to drink that was to be used to call his or her sponsor. Chips kinda have grown out of that. Don't need a coin for a cell phone.
This was the story I was told when I joined AA. Here in Scotland we recieve a coin for each milestone, 24hours, 1 week then monthly afterwards.
The coin isn't passed around but we do get big hugs and well wishes.
I love working towards my next coin.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've never heard that story, nor have I ever seen said chip-passing ritual.

It's so interesting the similarities and differences in different meetings different places.

Thanks to cfm for the chip-origin story! Kinda makes my little cloth sack of chips seem more like a reminder to talk to my sponsor and other friends in the program.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
I'm sorry; am I understanding this right......? You took someone else's coin, that they earned, and instead of letting it continue around the room and returning it to it's owner, you put it in the collection basket.....? So you're 'not a big fan...' does that give you the right to.........? Funny, I gave up being the center of the universe when I started out in recovery; I'm no longer the director; folks don't only have to play by my rules, any more. .....and btw, it's not the person who earned the coin making a big deal; it's the rest of the group making a deal.

(o:
You understand right. I think the whole thing is absurd, it has NEVER happend in 10 years of going to that group before and it's not about to start on my watch. That's how group conscious works.

Clearly a loving careing God worked through me to disrupt that whole scene to help further the groups primary purpose. There's plenty enough fanfare and pagentry for the "popular" people at that group without making some mystic ritual about their coin on top of the flowers and gift baskets... That group can look like a damn game show when the people in the right clique celebrate there.

In fact to go further, coins aren't AA at all. Try to order coins from AA.org if they're really AA materials they'll be for sale with the books and such right?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
I have seen at tons of meetings where someone gets an AA coin, token, chip, whatever your group calls it.
They all hand it around the table and everybody looks at it.

That was never explained to me.
Anybody?
Best thing to do is ask at the meeting when it comes around. Ask your sponsor.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Passing the chip around gives everyone a chance to acknowledge the accomplishment. For the newcomer it means a lot. For most others it's like showing everyone a picture of the fish you caught. Everyone knows what a fish looks like but you have to show them anyways.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by TSDD View Post

Clearly a loving careing God worked through me to disrupt that whole scene to help further the groups primary purpose.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You understand right. I think the whole thing is absurd, it has NEVER happend in 10 years of going to that group before and it's not about to start on my watch. That's how group conscious works.

Clearly a loving careing God worked through me to disrupt that whole scene to help further the groups primary purpose. There's plenty enough fanfare and pagentry for the "popular" people at that group without making some mystic ritual about their coin on top of the flowers and gift baskets... That group can look like a damn game show when the people in the right clique celebrate there.

In fact to go further, coins aren't AA at all. Try to order coins from AA.org if they're really AA materials they'll be for sale with the books and such right?
No that's not how a group conscience works. What you did was play AA sheriff. You can get AA coins at most central offices.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

The Washington Area Intergroup Office (WAIA) does sell chips.

They help out Maryland, Northern Virginia, and the Washington D.C. area.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
No that's not how a group conscience works. What you did was play AA sheriff. You can get AA coins at most central offices.
IMO God works through people. I was there because I was supposed to be there that night.

I'll accept the sherrif's badge on occasion. Men did it before me and I'm carrying the torch for the ones that have passed that wouldn't have let that kind of nonsense carry on. My biggest issue with special celebrations is when the "popular" members get more fanfare than others. "Fellowship" means a gathering of equals and I'll stand up to keep that spirit intact as long as I'm present.

If everyone in your group gets the same treatment, do what you like. While I don't agree, it's your group's perogative. Making a huge show for one person's anniversary and practically ignoring anothers is the antithisis of tradition 12.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Cool

OK..............I've had it up to here (#$%^) with all the eroneous info and derogatory ccomments regarding AA's use of chips/medallions marking sobriety milestones...........

Plz note, these are NOT my opinions, but directly from AA, the organization and not it's members.........anyone can check these FACTS thru AA's own website, or even in the book Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers.

"...The chip system is thought to have begun in Indianapolis in 1942. The tradition is believed to have started with Doherty S., who originally brought A.A. to Indianapolis. Doherty himself, in a letter to Bill, seems to indicate the practice originated in Indianapolis in 1942..."

"...Nell Wing wrote in 1962 about the history of the chip system: '…The chip system might have begun in Indianapolis….reference was made in a letter from
Doherty to the start of giving out ‘chips’ and ‘tokens.’ This was in 1942. I imagine this would be about right, because most of the early groups started in 1940 and it would take about a couple of years to think of anniversaries and marking any time of sobriety. I asked Bill about this and his memory is that the system started in Indianapolis...'"

"...In Dr. Bob and the Good Old Timers, it indicates that Sister Ignatia in Akron, working at St. Thomas Hospital, also used medallions: 'Sister Ignatia gave each of her newly released patients a Sacred Heart medallion, which she asked them to return before they took the first drink. She would occasionally give out St. Christopher medals as well…'"

I hope this can be put to rest now.

(o:

P.S. If a person is 'in' AA (not just hangin' with the fellowship), is working the AA Program and has worked at least the first three steps (dealing with obvious and glaring defects of character hopefully will come later), this person will have given up trying to be 'god'................or even sherif ('n btw, there are no sherifs in AA and there should not be; the group consience overrules any one individual's likes/dislikes---a check of the Traditions might prove helpful).

P.P.S. Personally, IMNSHO, an individual's overruling a group's group conscience appears to be the height of arrogance; playing 'God.'
Old 01-07-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Whoooie. I am an outspoken old broad. But, I would never take an item given to someone else, and put it in the collection basket. You deliberately made a decision that may have hurt someone's feelings. Enough to cause them to stop at the nearest bar.
I do not think was a loving and caring God which made you do this. Think deep and hard. It was your ego.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

IMO God works through people. I was there because I was supposed to be there that night.

I'll accept the sherrif's badge on occasion. Men did it before me and I'm carrying the torch for the ones that have passed that wouldn't have let that kind of nonsense carry on. My biggest issue with special celebrations is when the "popular" members get more fanfare than others. "Fellowship" means a gathering of equals and I'll stand up to keep that spirit intact as long as I'm present.

If everyone in your group gets the same treatment, do what you like. While I don't agree, it's your group's perogative. Making a huge show for one person's anniversary and practically ignoring anothers is the antithisis of tradition 12.

Instead of taking someone's coin why don't you step up by taking the initiative and making a huge show for those memebers that are ignored?? Wouldn't that be more in the spirit rather than sitting there and getting mad and stealing something that doesn't belong to you? In taking the coin, no one wins, especially you. In taking the initiative everyone wins, including you.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I'll accept the sherrif's badge on occasion. .

Myself, I'll pass on that.

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

".....and it's not about to start on my watch"

group conscience or not, right?

good thing they have you to show them how it's done
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

It's good luck. An unofficial part of AA culture.

What's the highest numbered chip you ever saw circulated at a meeting?

I saw a 50 year chip given at a meeting once, Roman numeral "L"!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I was taught that when the chip came around to me I was to say a prayer for the person receiving it that they may have continued sobriety for another year. In my area of the Country it is the norm for a coin to be passed around whether it be a month coin or a 30 year coin. Each person deserves the same good wishes and hope for a bright and sober future.

I have never looked at it as a selfish thing. Instead I viewed it as an expression of the Hope part of sharing ones Experience, Strength and Hope. Hope for another year of continued sobriety.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Although I strongly agree with many of TSDD's points, I can't imagine how anyone could see the taking of some else's coin and putting in the basket as anything but your will and your will only. I see a mention of the 12th Tradition and that clearly states PRINCIPLES before PERSONALITIES. So exactly what principle was being practiced here when there was no group conscience meeting that broke out during this meeting where a decision was made as to how to handle anniversaries and how they are celebrated. The idea that anyone does anything that might offend another during a meeting in my opinion is clearly a VIOLATION of Tradition 12 as it is your will being carried out against the wishes of the group as a whole. I have seen the action of handing out coins and passing them around for others to see many times and as others have noted, it is about a newcomer seeing the hope or a friend noticing the achievement and miracle of another. I do not see the immediate harm in that and it would seem to me, neither does the group of they would have made a point in their group conscience to make sure anniversaries are handled in a specific way that does not include cakes, cards or coins. That is of course the group's ultimate decision ... this is covered in Tradition 4 when we discuss autonomy ... right? Each group has the right to decide how the meetings and such are carried out (formats. open vs closed, how money is spent, etc) and what is and won't be tolerated in their meetings ... right? So I don't get how you can possibly rationalize the taking of a coin during a meeting UNLESS it was decided beforehand by that home group (which you would need to be a member of) that coins are not to be passed around. This was clearly your decision alone based on the way you described it.

The idea that AA doesn't offer medallions and items like that on their site or from AA World Headquarters again lends itself to the idea that AA World doesn't want to influence its own meeting places as to how to govern the individual meetings. Anything that goes BEYOND the program's basic principles or that does not lend itself to the idea of carrying the message to the alcoholic who still suffers, than you won't find AA World participating in that for the most part. This does not mean that AA completely frowns upon the idea of celebrating. I have seen numerous groups that have their own printed forms at meetings that are used as phone lists for the newcomer or anyone who would want one and the form makes its way around the room for members to sign and than distributed back to the person who requested it. I don't see templates for this type of paper on the AA website either but I would guess AA doesn't frown on this idea being it is within the groups rights to decide how they get the AA message heard by a newcomer within their own meeting place.

The overall Philosophy you mention of groups paying too much attention to the celebrants and the cliques that sometimes dominate a group I happen to agree with. I have seen many times where the idea of "Carrying the message" gets lost in all the congrats that are being paid and the newcomer is very possibly sitting on their hands in the back of the room completely intimidated by the almost circus like atmosphere created in some of the celebrations. I have spoken up at my group conscience meetings about this very topic a few times. Unfortunately, I am in the minority it seems and the member of my home group have voted to keep things as they are. I have had some members talk to me after celebration meetings and saying that since the time I have brought this up, they see some of the what I am talking about. Who knows ... maybe some day things will change in that respect and by that time I can honestly say that we, as a group, would have handled this issue in the best way and as Tradition 2 would have us handle any situation. Our group having time to brainstorm together, process those ideas, talk about them and finally vote with an open mind and I think we would all agree that it was God working through our group to the best job possible in carrying the message and not "my will being forced down people's throat" ... after all, I know my will is what is best being it is my will and my ideas that earned me the seat I cherish today.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Cool

Yes, AA, on their site (AA.org) does not offer medallions for sale, but then again, they do not offer anything for sale, not even the Big Book or the 12x12 (both of which they offer for download to read).

Obviously AAWS does not offer medallions for sale..........:

Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc. (AAWS, originally Works Publishing, 1938) is one of two operating corporations (the other is AA Grapevine, Inc.) of the General Service Board of AA, Inc. (formerly the Alcoholic Foundation, 1938). AA Grapevine, Inc. is the international journal of Alcoholics Anonymous.
AAWS holds the copyright to AA’s core literature including the books Alcoholics Anonymous and Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions. It operates AA’s General Service Office (GSO) 475 Riverside Drive, New York which serves as a repository and clearinghouse for AA’s collected experience and general information about AA. GSO also coordinates a range of service activities, and handles the translation, publication and distribution of AA literature.

Please remember that AA (en toto) is way more than AA.org (which is only their online site for info). AA is comprised of AA GSB, AAWS (and all it entails, as per the paragraph above), AA GSO, and..........AA's Central Offices, or AA Intergroup offices as they are often called.

In fact, if one wants to call AA, one would look in the local phone book. There one would find the phone number for the local Central Office (or Intergroup Office).

The Intergroup office is a place where anyone can call and find out more about Alcoholics Anonymous. There are volunteer A.A. members and staff in the office from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. who are able to answer questions about A.A Monday through Friday. They are also willing to talk to those seeking help with their problem with alcohol.

The phones are also covered in the evening hours and on weekends by recovered alcoholics who volunteer their time for this service. Intergroup Association, Inc. provides many services to the A.A. community. Some of these services are (but are not limited to).......................:

Coordinates the 24-hour telephone service for callers seeking help. For people in the outlying areas, from 9 to 5, call 1-877-390-6300;
Guides newcomers to meetings;
Communicates with the AA General Service Office, and responds to requests received;
Provides literature to local conventions or conferences on request; and
Serves as a central source of information on AA activities, AAWS literature, and small gifts (which might include A.A.W.S. Pamphlets, Big Book Covers, Dictionarys, Grapevine Books, Meeting Directory, Newcomer Packet,
Sale Items, Service Manual, Big Book, 12 & 12, Meditation Books, Other A.A.W.S. Books, Certificates, Chips Aluminum, Chips Bronze, Chips Bill/Dr. Bob,
Chips Red/Silver, Chips TriPlate, Chips Silver, Special Items, Pamphlets,
Relapse Books, CDs, Misc Books.

NOTE, Central offices/AA Intergroup (which is a part of AA as a whole) is where most groups get their books, pamphlets, AND the medallions. Therefore, with all this info, it should be plain to see that, not only does AA back up handing out medallions, they also sell them.

AA chips, medallions, or whatever one wants to call them are definitely AA. If, after all this, you still disagree, my suggestion would be to call AA, either locally or their 800, 866, 888, or whatever number, and tell them to stop offering medallions as you say they're not AA......................

(o:
Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I understand all of what you are saying Noelle but there is much more to the side of the story you posted. Are you aware that the AA symbol that we see on all these medallions is not even the official trademark of AA? These medallions are made by outside agencies which would clearly be a violation of Tradition 6. In fact, if you look at many of the sites that do sell these items, you will see a disclaimer somewhere on the site they the site and subsidiary companies are in no way connected with AA. In 1993 AA did away with the old trademark that we all know today. Why? In large part because the manufacturing of coins and other materials outside the "approval" of AA was happening much to dismay of AA. This would have been a gigantic legal venture to tackle considering AA didn't take proper steps to secure the symbol in years prior to this. I am guessing based on your knowledge that you have been to a convention or two and there you can get coins, book covers, t-shirts, hats ... etc ... NONE of this is endorsed by AA either. What is Tradition 5 ... Each groups's primary purpose is to carry the message. This would include ALL groups which means areas and so on. What does any of these type products have to do with carrying the message? And I disagree ... there are many area groups that DO NOT readily make available the coins and such. Some areas do not have medallions on their order forms but they do have them available to be picked up at the area office. Some areas have them on the order forms, there is no doubt about that. Some areas carry some literature versus other literature. It is again that group (areas) choice as to what to make available for the individual group meeting places so far as what and how to carry the message. My group several years back wanted to make a reading part of our every meeting format. Some one complained that is was not acceptable. We had to cease the reading until getting approval from area. Since that time the reading is now done in other meetings and they have actually added that card to the materials order form. Everything that is about the message must be approved if it is part of a meeting. Autonomy is a huge part of the program and remember it is the backwards triangle and each group can do what they choose provided is not a direct violation of a tradition and the same is said for the area group to provide what materials they see fit and how they want to make them available.

Birthdays and the moneys used for the celebration "including" the awarding of medallions has been discussed several times throughout AA's existence. Most recently last years World Conference. It was once again voted that it should be up to the individual groups. The idea of AA producing its own coins as they do with literature was discussed on more than one occasion. The idea of presenting coins "during" meetings was voted on and it was agreed that this action was "unrelated to our primary purpose of carrying the AA message". It was ultimately decided that autonomy would govern each groups idea of how to handle the coin issue but also that AA as a whole would not license or produce the coins/medallions. At this point AA also had to consider the first Tradition which talks about "unity" and to flat out condemn the use/awarding of coins might present a problem considering this has become a part of the AA culture at this point. There have been a few studies during AA's existence about the awarding of coins having a possible negative effect and should they stop this practice. This goes back to the 40's when groups found that the birthday parties went from the meeting place to the bar on a few occasions believe it or not. Dr. Harry Tiebout who worked closely with Bill W in the early days and he served on the Board of Trustees for AA was asked about the idea of medallions being awarded. He could not find conclusive evidence that a coin could cause a relapse of course but he did write several papers on the negative effects of ego and he mentions the awarding of medallions as a contributing factor.

You mentioned all the various entities of AA including AA Grapevine. Nowhere in any of their writings or literature will you find endorsement of awarding medallions. You will however find in several documents that it is a choice that AA allows each group to make. You mentioned no literature for sale on the AA site but this not true. The aa.org site has e-books and the Grapevine site offers a wide variety of literature and other items for personal or meeting use.

The one thing I will agree with you is that the medallions have "become" part of AA. They were never meant to be part of when AA was painstakingly designed by the founders. The founders discussed, wrote and published many books and literature pieces about recovery, spirituality, humility, removing of the idea of self and replacing it with "we" ... a coin represents the antithesis of these concepts and Bill W, Dr. Bob many of the psychiatrists consulted when building the fellowship, and many others early on recognized this. But they also recognized that once this cat was out of the cage it might cause more harm than good attempting to re-cage him. As I said earlier, AA doesn't completely frown on the idea of celebrating with coins they would just rather not endorse the idea from AA World as some would find it confusing. I never said you can not buy them locally at your area office.

Tradition 12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities. .... Anonymity is broken in several ways when we wear items that state the AA membership or achievement. Spiritual Foundation ... what is spiritual about being rewarded and publicly applauded for doing what we are suppose to be doing to begin with? Principles before personalities ... What principle is being practiced when putting one person or personality up on a pedestal in front of a group of others. To acknowledge achievement is one thing. To celebrate it is completely another. And as I have seen ... in many cases the person is worshiped which certainly does not help to demonstrate anything that could be called selfless, loss of ego or humility.

By the way ... have you noticed even the regional and inter group sites are not endorsed by AA? Why do you think that is? Autonomy maybe? Just because you are part of the whole does not mean the whole endorses every aspect of what you do. How many of us don't drive the speed limit to the number. IN FACT, all across the country most police departments have a cushion they allow us to go over the posted limit before they would cite us for a ticket. Why ... because the mess it would cause would likely be a greater problem than the overall effect. Speeding is something that has gotten so out of control that the police departments ignore it for the most part other than the violators who go way beyond an acceptable speed. Just because it has become acceptable does not mean it is endorsed.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I like the medallions I've received. Carrying them in my pocket is a constant reminder of my progress and why I need to stay sober.