8 Days and scared to see BF for first time

Old 08-04-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Days and scared to see BF for first time

Hi!

New here. For the first time in at least 5 years, I decided (8 days ago) to stop drinking and smoking cigarettes. Both addicitions were making an otherwise mild underlyning health condition unbearable, and I knew I was headed for big trouble if I continued.

I am seeing my boyfriend (of almost a year) for the first time tomorrow since I've been dry. He doesn't drink, so I'm not afraid I'll be tempted, and he has been nothing but supportive (over the phone) of my efforts. However, I haven't been sober throughought the relationship and I'm scared that the connection we share(d) won't be there now that I'm off the bottle.

Any insight?

I've really gotten a lot out of reading these boards. Thanks to all for sharing.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

If alcohol is needed for the relationship, then IMO, it was not meant to be. Not if alcohol is hurting you. If there was a true connection between you, then it has not gone anywhere just because you take alcohol out of the picture. Will things be different? Ya most likely, but that does not mean they cannot be good, indeed better than they were before. Without alcohol (at least in the early going) there is a tendency to feel more fearful. Rest assured that if it was meant to be it will be.