What happens when you go thru recovery??

Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What happens when you go thru recovery??

Hi, I am just so eagerly looking to better understand from you all what happens when you go thru recovery say the first 6 months??

My best friend and on off relationship went to rehab in august for a month for his binge drinking. He is back for 2 months and deeply committed to AA and all that entails including communiy service, etc. He has quit smoking and says he is the happiest and best he has ever been.

From my side, he has changed so much in these last 3 weeks that I don't even feel like I know him. He was this kind, loving, warm man to me for 10 years. Except for when he would go in his shutdown mode before drinking. During rehab and the 6 weeks that followed, he was so loving so warm and always says I am the love of his life.

Now suddenly in the last 3 weeks, all has changed towards me. He hardly calls, seems just ok with anything, doesn't have a strong desire to see me, and sudden when for 10 years he couldn't control being ohscually affectionate with me, now he can. And says he isn't supposed to date for a year so he and I should just be friends. Now when we hang out, he seems to have no desire to even touch me.

All so shocking and i don't understand. Any understanding would be so helpful

Thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Rosie

You've spent time in the FFA forum - you would have seen that sometimes people in early recovery can often become withdrawn and isolated and standoffish - recovery can be a big thing and quite overwhelming.

I know I was subject to wild mood swings, a lot of fear....and I found my reevaluating everything in my life.

It may not be anything anyone is 'telling him' at all - it may just simply be your friend is trying to work out who sober him really is

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-29-2011 at 04:18 PM.