relapse withdrawal question

Old 10-22-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relapse withdrawal question

I've never posted before, so I hope I'm doing this right. My husband is a newly recovering alcoholic. He did a seven day medical detox/rehab and has stayed sober for five weeks. However, he just had a relapse (started on his birthday) and drank for four days in a row while I was at work. It is the weekend now and I'm right here with him. No alcohol around, of course. We hadn't made a plan for if a relapse occurred, which I now know we should have. He has thrown up several times this morning (withdrawals). I'm wondering how long the physical withdrawal symptoms from this relapse might last. He had been getting healthy, keeping up with a daily vitamin and liver/kidney cleanse regimen until this last week. We have lactulose that he can take, which I am hoping will speed up the cleansing process. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what to expect on this withdrawal? Thank you so much for your time and help.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I am not a doctor. I am not your husband's doctor. If you need a medical opinion, please talk to a doctor.

I don't have much experience in this, but I would keep and eye on him for the next two days or so, ready to call 911 if a panic attack starts up. Keep him hydrated with water and juice, gatorade if you have some.

Your husband is lucky to have someone to keep an eye out during the detox. Again, please keep in mind that detox from alcohol can be a serious issue, and if you start to get worried, contact a professional.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Hi spousetrying,

I don't usually post on this forum, but your post caught my eye.

If your husband required a medical detox, chances are he has damage control to do to get healthy again. Alcohol is seriously liver toxic. If he binged after being abstinent for several weeks, you could be looking at liver inflammation or pancreatitis, or some such other serious issue. Bear in mind, I am NOT telling that this is what it is -- I am not a doctor and would not give you medical advice here even if I were. I'm just telling you that there are signs of SOMETHING going on that none of us can tell you is serious or not.

At the very least, call the hospital ER and ask to talk to the consulting RN. Most hospitals have them, and they are there for the purpose NOT to diagnose you, but to alert their ER that an emergency might be coming in. You might be told just to bring him in since this is Saturday.

If he did a medical detox, however, the place he did the detox might have a 24 hour hotline you can call and ask questions of.

Good luck. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

FT
Old 10-22-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go to the ER. You might be dealing with acute alcohol toxicity, but only a trained medical professional can evaluate his condition.

I don't mean to be alarmist, but there are other thing to consider after binges/benders than just withdrawal.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

We stop drinking, but our disease progresses.

Our bodies want more than our last time, not realizing it's not tolerable.

Call your doctor or Go to the Emergency Room.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for your replies. We did end up going to the ER, as he was looking a bit pale and dehydrated. They were great. IV with a multivitamin, ativan, and phenergen. Getting him back on track with an intensive outpatient program this week. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Of course im not a doctor, but if he drank for the better part of four days it may be wise to visit a medical professional or go to the emergency room. They may be able to prescribe him a non-narcotic drug that will help him get through the cravings and difficult early withdrawal symptoms.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The OP did get her husband to medical treatment Brian

D