what is recovery?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what is recovery?

In recovery I've learned that recovery meant change. In order to get sober and stay sober I had to change all aspects of my life...people...places...things. I even had to change the type of work I do.

What kind of changes have you had to make in order to stay clean and sober?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...covery-me.html
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Once I changed my mind I didn't have to change anything.

I hang out with my same friends, but I don't drink. I do the same activities, but I don't drink. The "not drinking" freed me up to workout more and be more healthy, be better at my job and make more money, be a better husband and father, and enjoy my life.

In my younger years I might have had to change some of my friends and surroundings, but since I have matured I am able to enjoy my life which I created without alcohol.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know Spawn, it's kinda funny, but at the tail end of my last big "event", I had pretty much lost everything. So, when my wife called me and offered another chance (the last of many), I had nothing left! All of my 'friends' wanted nothing to do with me. My employer fired me, rightfully so. So, I really didn't have a lot to start with. So change was pretty easy for me. I basically just started over.

Now, the only friends I have are in the program. I don't associate with anyone else.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

The changes I need to make to recover were first an attitude rearrangement of the highest order. I begun to believe in myself, I did have it within me to reorder my life...clean/sober

The truth of the first order encouraged me to manifest a belief in myself that guided me into action.

Secondly...I found many paths to recovery. I choose one of the ways to recover that resonated with my very being. A path that spoke to me and with the supportive help of others, that believed in me , I started to heal from a life of 'out of control' or' powerlessness,' depending on ones mind set, of self-destruction.

Third and lastly, I can recover, regardless of any or all common beliefs about recovery. Each person that enters recovery needs not to be subjected to a limited constructions that others find themselves abiding in order to recover. A singular method of treatment to a wildly common illness of alcoholism/addictions is gratuitous BS. Don't fall for it.

One can recover, as they see fit. To believe otherwise is arrogance mixed with ignorance...a lethal combo...IMO...have a nice day
Old 07-05-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

for me the first thing in recovery is this, [ the physical allergy ]
I had to fully concede to my intermost self that I was an alcoholic. I have lost the ability to control my drinking. no alcoholic ever regains control, Once a cumcumber always a cucumber. AND I cant even remember that so I will need a HIGHER POWER

After that everything else needs to change in order to be of service.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I have to be RIGOROUSLY honest and quit cutting corners and making exceptions for myself. e.g. I even had to quit speeding which was really hard for me to do. I have to quit rationalizing and justifying my own bad behavior. I have to ignore what I think others are thinking of me; good or bad. I have to question my true motivations in dealing with everyone with whom I come into contact. I have to cut out the gossip entirely, with no exceptions. I've had to learn to try and judge myself by my own actions as opposed to my own intentions.

Of course, I had to quit visiting my husband's stash of liquor.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the critical change i made was to stop buying alcohol and pouring it down my throat.

that probably sounds silly but it was the only change i needed, since all the stuff i don't like about myself is related to me getting drunk and either overly emotional, or overly aggressive, or very needy (i am queen of the late-night drunk texting to my ex). or getting drunk then waking up the next day full of self-hatred for my actions the night before.

it's quite nice to wake up and like myself!

at the moment i'm supporting that change by staying away from situations where i'd habitually buy the stuff, but i don't plan to ban myself permanently from bars or shops or restaurants, just for a few weeks until i've got new habits in place

debs