Question on Side Effects

Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question on Side Effects

I should probably be on family forum, but needed to know this. A family member is trying to stay sober. He has relapsed many times. My question is: Does trying to stay sober cause you to drink more beverages like water, , or tea? Reason I ask is that is a huge symptom of diabetis so am really concerned. He doesn't live with me but I know he won't go to doctor, smokes nonstop, and doesn't eat right. He is trying hard with AA. I worry that the smoking will cause more problems than the alcohol. Also, worried about the nonstop drinking of nonalcoholic beverages. Thank you very much for any information.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Erin

Welcome

Obviously noone here can diagnose your relative..,there may be some medical reason behind it...or it may be as simple as he may just miss having a glass of something in his hand?

Hard to say from this perspective, really...

D
Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I know unless he goes to a doctor there is no way to know. I just wondered if the alcoholism keeps him in a state of dehydration. He drinks tea nonstop. Maybe it is just his substitute for alcohol. I know he still has the tremors so maybe when I see him he is i with drawal.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oops, I missed the part about still trying to stay sober, sorry.
Yeah I was very dehydrated in withdrawal - could be that too?

D
Old 06-29-2011, 01:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Erin,

Alcohol does dehydrate you, so drinking a lot of fluids is not only common it is recommended.

Tremors? This can be serious. Alcohol withdrawal can kill you. It is much deadlier than opiate withdrawal for example. Get him to a Dr if at all possible. If he has a seizure or hallucinations, get him to the ER.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank more water when I got sober because I needed something in my hand. Yes, visiting a doctor is the best thing.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am 3 days into recovery and I'm drinking a lot of tea, I think a lot of it is needing to be drinking something and dehydration the drinking has caused. But as the others said, a doctor would probably be a good idea by the sounds of things
Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tea is a diuretic because it contains caffeine. It does not help with dehydration. Instead, it causes dehydration. Water, gatoraide, juice, etc. would be better choices if one wants to become hydrated. Susan