Withdrawl - calm before the storm??

Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawl - calm before the storm??

Hi alll - this is my first post. I have spent the last 6hrs visiting various sites and the info and comments here seem to be very helpful.

I have been drinking quite heavily for the last 3 or 4 years - between 1/2 and 1 litre of Vodka every day.

In January I decided enough and started tapering off the qty to the point where a bad day was just less than 1/2 litre and at this point found it really difficult to reduce further due to the shakes, lack of sleep and night sweats.

I went to the Doc's 21st March and explained the problem. He gave me vitamins and told me to continue at that level of drinking and referred my to a support group.

My first meeting with my councillor is 6th April and I did not want to continue drinking for another two weeks so I decided to go cold turkey on 25th March.

I had a bottle on standby just in case it got too much.

I haven't had a drink since the 24th (4 days) and apart from the first few nights with cold sweats and a little insomnia I've felt fine. My emergency bottle remains unopened.

Is this the calm before the storm - has enyone else experienced this?

Any advice gratefully received.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is not medical advice from me, but it sounds to me that you have weathered the storm so to speak.

What I found after I had a couple bad detoxes they continued to get worse, even if it was a shorter bender. Keep that last bottle closed, and hopefully you can give it away or toss it tomorrow or later in the week.

Congrats on your decision.!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Superscrew

I don't plan on opening it - it my safety net, just in case 2hrs after I bin it things start to go wrong. It will be down the sink before the end of Wednesday.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by studio View Post
Hi alll - this is my first post. I have spent the last 6hrs visiting various sites and the info and comments here seem to be very helpful.

I have been drinking quite heavily for the last 3 or 4 years - between 1/2 and 1 litre of Vodka every day.

In January I decided enough and started tapering off the qty to the point where a bad day was just less than 1/2 litre and at this point found it really difficult to reduce further due to the shakes, lack of sleep and night sweats.

I went to the Doc's 21st March and explained the problem. He gave me vitamins and told me to continue at that level of drinking and referred my to a support group.

My first meeting with my councillor is 6th April and I did not want to continue drinking for another two weeks so I decided to go cold turkey on 25th March.

I had a bottle on standby just in case it got too much.

I haven't had a drink since the 24th (4 days) and apart from the first few nights with cold sweats and a little insomnia I've felt fine. My emergency bottle remains unopened.

Is this the calm before the storm - has enyone else experienced this?

Any advice gratefully received.
think i found the link Dee sent me, hope its helps

it wont let me submit the links, as only have 5 posts and need 15? may you could ask DEE?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Studio

I'm disappointed in the Dr that advised you to keep drinking...some Drs can be pretty ignorant of addiction issues IMO

From my experience by day 4 you should have seen the worst - but please don't hesitate to seek a second professional medical opinion if you're at all concerned or should you start to feel worse.

I think you can think about dumping that emergency bottle, and I definitely advise it.

I think this is the thread Paddy means. It's a thread of members' detox experiences.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Good to have you with us

D
Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Because you have another thread on this in our alcoholism forum I'll direct people there, Studio

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ore-storm.html

D