What Is Recovery?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Is Recovery?

Replacing need with want?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think it's that philosophical. I like the definition from the online Free Dictionary: Recovery is restoration to a former or better condition, the regaining of something lost.

It's not that much different than recovering from gout. You get better.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

An alcoholic with some years of successful sobriety behind him once remarked that when he was still drinking, his notion of recovery was that it must be like he felt after waking up on Sunday morning and realizing that he had run out of booze. Recovery, as he saw it at the time through the lens of his active alcoholism, really meant deprivation, indeed, life-long deprivation. He envisioned year after year of desperately wanting but being unable to drink. It was therefore not surprising that he recoiled with horror and disgust from such a dire and wretched prospect - and kept on drinking for many additional years as though thereby to flee a fate worse than death itself, recovery(which for him meant only: prolonged deprivation and withdrawal).
Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

What is Recovery?
I had to really think about that. I guess its like alot of things in life. How do you recover from alot of things. Its a matter of mind I think. Its a decision of whether you want to......a reason to.......I think my sister died from alcoholism because she knew she needed to but in the end she didnt want to fight it any longer.
Does that make any sense?
JJ