Recovery Is More Than _________.....

Old 09-03-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Recovery Is More Than _________.....

Recovery to me is more than not picking up that first one. While abstinence is a wonderful start, its just the beginning of the process. I believe my recovery has been a long process of acceptance, change, and learning new tools to work through this process of recovery from addiction. My process has showed me, even when I have'nt used crack in years, I still struggle with the paranoia, fears, and obsessions. Im still isolating like I just took a blast of the pipe. Hiding from living a normal life. So, Recovery is about being in the process of CHANGE....That word scares me. It takes me out of my COMFORT zone. Learning to name my defects and have the willingnes to allow God to work this out for me rather than me taking back control..Recovery is more than being in a meeting talking about HOW I FEEL...Thats great in a beginners meeting, but am I working with a sponsor on the STEPS.."The STEPS are OUR SOLUTION"..{page 19 basic text-How it Works}..So, Recovery is much more than what I think it is....We Can add to the list of what recovery is...Blessing and continue to LIVE IN The SOLUTION....Not The Problem....Clean :ghug3
Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Clean4ever View Post
Recovery to me is more than_______
...Not Drinkin. I tried the "Not Drinkin" way dozens of times but found that I still suffered from alcoholism almost as much as I did when I was Drinkin.

It was not until I tried the "Not Sufferin" way that I found sobriety worth having.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To me, recovery is about finding a NEW way of life. Not just not doing drugs, but finding a way to live OTHER THAN our old, self-centered behaviors. I am on day 32 today and learning. I have not had more than 35 sober days strung together in 2010. Needless to say, I am nervous. But if I keep working toward RECOVERY and getting farther from ADDICTION I can find that new way of life. I make strides on my journey every day, and make sure I am keeping up pace, lest my addiction catch up with me-- and that thing can sprint! I know that if I keep doing the next right thing, I will not pick up. I can free myself from the bondage of my past, and move forward, into my future, living each day for what it's worth.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well said guys. I couldn't agree more that just stopping was not enough for me. I finally got it when I understood that recovery is a must and it is a process. I am taking my time here and making gradual lifestyle changes and have totally improved my outlook on life. Finding positive coping strategies to do with the life's ups/downs are key. Just because we are sober doesn't mean our problems go away.

Change is required and I agree too that it can be scary. I spent so many years doing something unhealthy that I still kept doing it because it was what I knew.

Good stuff guys and thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Kmber2010; 09-05-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

i am Finding Acceptance is a Huge word.. and it is a Slow Process for me.. Changing ways of doing things that have been second nature to me for decades is Not Easy.. i Do see some progress though as do those around me! i anger Much Less Easily and i "think" Before i speak..