Life just got weird for a second.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life just got weird for a second.

Does anyone here have those moments when sobriety is just so... sobering, that it almost seems like you're high on sobriety? I just had a moment like that. It was nothing special, just reaching for the peanut butter to get my son another spoonful, and suddenly sobriety hit me and I felt a rush. Those little daily things I am doing clean instead of high or drunk are what really matter. Sometimes I can really just appreciate sobriety for what it is. It's its own trip!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

One time when was working as an Over The Road Truck driver and had only about one year of sobriety, I had what I would call a a glimpse of Ecstasy.

I had just dropped a loaded trailer at a large factory and went to pick up an empty one and found mush to my delight that there were almost a dozen to choose from. The reason that I was delighted to have such a large selection was that I knew I did not have to settle for one that was dirty or needed repair. If I were to get stuck with one that was not clean and roadworthy it would mean that I would have to clean it or get it serviced on my time, there would be no extra pay for cleaning or waiting for repairs.

The very first trailer I looked at was full of dirt, cardboard and had nails sticking out of the floor. It needed at least 45 minutes of hard labor to get cleaned and nail-free. I started to walk away from it and look for a better one, when a strong sense of guilt rushed over me. I thought to myself "it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it".

To make a long story short, it took at least an hour of hard labor to get it serviceable and I was filthy as a chimney-sweep after wards. While I was driving out of the plant, the sun suddenly came out. The sky looked a deeper blue than ever before. The trees looked a deeper green than I can ever remember seeing a tree. I could smell the fresh cut grass from hundred yards away. I felt as if mother nature had unfolded her best stuff for me to see and I thought to myself "if there's a heaven, it cant get any better than this. It felt Euphoric!

I have since had some similar experiences, although none quite so intense. The one thing they all in in common was, they followed some act of humility, surrender or benevolence on my part. They have never happened at random. If it ain't good Karma, I don't know is.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

good service share!
Old 09-04-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can totally relate! It's like everything comes into focus and it takes your breath away.
It's the best feeling!!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post

... just reaching for the peanut butter to get my son another spoonful
Just goes to show ya... it is acts of humility, surrender or benevolence that triggers these moments of Euphoria.

"There are no small acts of kindness in God's eyes".
(Mother Teresa)
Old 09-05-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I have been feeling like that a lot lately. It seems after my short-lived relapse in May, sobriety seems extra special. I'm not saying it's good to relapse, because some people never get back up from it, but my experience has been that it taught me how good I really have it.

Yesterday, I actually used the word stupendous to describe my happy mood!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I get those amazing moments here and there for no specific reason and man I feel like anything and everything is possible and I feel so full of joy. I love those moments and I tell you that before I got sober....well I hadn't felt like that in many years.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I get those moments something like that because of sobriety. Moments of being fully alive in the present moment. Where everything seems in place, the good with the bad, it all fits perfectly together as it is. Its as if I have these shifts in perception where I have no expectations. Clarity, it feels like clarity.

It is times like those that keep me going forward in my journey.