What Recovery Is

Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"Came to believe that a Power greater than ouselves could restore us to sanity."

I believe, the insanity of my disease is the obsession to drink or drug. God has relieved me of that obsession.

I have recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body, the obsession. I will always be an alcoholic. And as I have heard many before me mention, it is called alcohol "ism" not "wasm."

Recovery to me is to live my life as a person that God would want me to be. Practicing these principles in all of my affairs. Where the situation presents itself, to help another alcoholic to achieve sobriety and along with God's guidance to help another alcoholic through the process of the 12 Steps of Recovery. But to me, recovering is a lifetime process, a journey that does not have a destination. Constantly working on becoming a better person and helping others.

Harry
Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

If I take off my AA hat, to me being "recovered" means

Not drinking booze anymore
Not thinking about drinking
And generally feeling good about myself, life and most everything going on.

That last one is a doozey! I still get tempted to question that I can feel happy, calm and content in spite of 'x' 'y' or 'z' that's going on in my life. Pretty amazing stuff.

--and i agree with you Robert...... I never could find a way to get all of this cool stuff on my own until I started asking God, quit focusing on myself, and tried to do what He wanted me to do instead.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

AGREE to DISAGREE.....
Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I enjoy thinking about things, like "what is recovery" to me? For the sake of not writing a thesis, I'll just say that for me, recovery is being glad I'm sober.

I was heavily involved in AA in the past. Right now, I just use SR, a few close sober friends, and a God of my understanding. I still apply what AA gave me, and I think it's an amazing organization (why else would it inspire so many other groups?). I'm also reminded that it began with nothing more complicated than one drunk helping another.

My belief is that "when the student is ready, the teacher appears." And I think if we keep an open mind and a willing heart, we'll find exactly what we need.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There seems to be a lot of animosity between the AA'ers and the non AA'ers. I also have noticed there are 2-3 members who are long sober and like to come along on the newcomers threads and just chop people off at the knees after having slips. What a shame.
I really haven't noticed the chopping off at the knees. We have "AA or no AA" flareups on the forum quite frequently, but I haven't noticed such an extreme lack of civility.
I am AA, but I encourage people to use the program that works best for them, whatever it may be.

I can't understand people who claim that AA is a cult because I really haven't noticed it. My sponsor has said to me: "AA is not for everyone. People find other ways to get sober".
She has 18 years sobriety and has seen many people come and go. When they go she says goodbye and good luck: that is really not cult talk.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sobriety.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I can be "recovered" from a gunshot wound, but that does not make me bulletproof.
B, this quote made my day. And I'm stealing it lol!! Thanks heaps.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

To me, personally, 'recovered' means that it takes me zero effort to not take a drink/use a drug. I don't have to fight, it simply is no longer my nature to drink/use or desire to drink/use.

Recovered doesn't mean you can't relapse, but it does mean that a relapse would take a conscious effort, rather than a slip back into 'old ways'. If someone is recovered, and drinks, it is because they have chosen to. If someone is recoverING, and drinks, it is because they haven't chosen not to.

ETA: This is only the view of someone with 84 days clean (though 9 months in the program), so feel free to take it w/ a grain of salt...
Old 12-22-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post
To me, personally, 'recovered' means that it takes me zero effort to not take a drink/use a drug. I don't have to fight, it simply is no longer my nature to drink/use or desire to drink/use.
Great analogy! It got me started to think about what exactly have I "recovered"?

In my case, I have the same attitude toward liqueur as I had when I was 17 years old and did not even know what the attraction of booze was. I have "recovered" the best possible sobriety possible.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Great analogy! It got me started to think about what exactly have I "recovered"?

In my case, I have the same attitude toward liqueur as I had when I was 17 years old and did not even know what the attraction of booze was. I have "recovered" the best possible sobriety possible.
Heard it from an AA old-timer who got sober before I was born-- he's so profound all the time, and sometimes I don't understand him, but this really struck me as something I need to remember.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasNative View Post
I'm new around here but even I would bet this thread goes south, as did the "dry drunk" thread over in the Newcomers section. There seems to be a lot of animosity between the AA'ers and the non AA'ers. I also have noticed there are 2-3 members who are long sober and like to come along on the newcomers threads and just chop people off at the knees after having slips. What a shame.
thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Howdy! To me recovery means not only maintaining sobriety but also working on living a life that feels full and achieves equilibrium without the misuse or abuse of substances. Recovered? As for me, I drank in an unhealthy way most of my life and heavily for about five years ... So perhaps I can check in on the meaning of recovered when I have five years
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

What is recovery?

Being ok with life, with myself, and with others without having to drink or use drugs.

Being less selfish and more useful to others and wanting to be that way.

Being willing, having an open mind, and being honest.

Not living in fear. Not contstantly having resentements. Not being a slave to my thoughts and emotions.

Feeling equal to and not less than, or greater than you.

It's wonderful and I'm very, very grateful regardless of whatever anyone calls "it".

Kjell
Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I also think recovery is being ok with your idea of recovery.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:12 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

What recovery is to me

Recovery to me means varied different things, Ive suffered the loss of loved ones through my behaviours yet Ive gained the knowledge of who my true friends are. These friends are the people who stood by me and helped when the world walked out. recovery isn't easy but if something is easy is it worth aiming for? Ive met someone special who accepts me for my past and who I am, its early days but had I have not gone through what Im going through I might not have met her.
Id thought about dating someone who was an alchoholic too but then considered the fact that if we got serious the conversations would always lead back to the inevitable and although its something I dont mind talking about at some point there has to be closure and not a daily reminder to move on in life.

Recovery is also adapting. I went to 50th birthday party reluctantly, it was very hard for me but little steps at a time.

Dont try to look for perfection in your life, it doesn't exist just do the best you can with what you have and the rest will follow. Amen
Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harry01854 View Post
And as I have heard many before me mention, it is called alcohol "ism" not "wasm."
I've never heard this one before Harry, so you're getting the credit from me lol! That is absolutely priceless. Thanks!