Recovery Is -

Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for bumping this.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I choose to be in recovery than to just abstain from Drugs + Alcohol.
You have clearly outlined the difference between being alive and chancing life..

Recovery=life and Abstainance=living by chance.

Thank you

Just for today: An act of kindness costs me nothing, but is priceless to the recipient. I will be kind to someone today.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Abstinence is NOT DRINKING and feeling bad about it.....Recovery is NOT DRINKING and feeling good about it.

In other words, abstinence is struggle against circumstances, and recovery is victory over them. But don't you think that we can only win if we start struggling?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Nice

Thanks for the post Boleo!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Nice!

Last time I got sober I did it by abstinence for about 5 weeks ... it was pain, emotional pain, I felt like an open wound, and for the first time EVER in my life I wanted to die!

This time round, completely different!! I felt released - from the obsession, the compulsion and the craving to drink.

What did I do different? I had come to understand that I was, in FACT, powerless over alcohol ... both powerless to stop once I started, and powerless to stop "starting". I decided to put my trust in a power greater than myself that I believed could keep me sober, because I knew I couldn't do it. (... in hindsight - Steps 1,2,3)

So for me abstinence = taking on - fighting my addiction with my own will-power. (= I lose!)

Recovery = surrendering, waving the white flag, bowing out of the fight. (paradoxically opening the door to a source of infinite power)

~honey~
Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That was brilliant, really, really good, the silly thing for rebellious alcoholice like me, it is a very hard thing to go, when I , driven literally to my knees, worse than that to be honest I could only crawl to my bed, after praying like I've never prayed before ever, ever, ever I had a,'spiritual experience', alone and unaided by human hand and my alcoholism was taken from me after 30 years of suffering, but lets not go there, you're free, I'm free so it works and there is hope for all of us, Michael.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Kurt, Maybe you could point out where AA was specifically mentioned in that post, I must have missed it. Maybe you could share your experience on what recovery means for you. For me, recovery means knowing I will never have to drink again.
For me it also means living life on life's terms and being happy and at peace with myself.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
din
~ still a believer ~

see, here's the problem..........

7 weeks (for lack of better words.........dry?!!)

and that original post just struck SUCH a cord!!
EVERY single stupid word rang as true as today's Gospel

Abstinence is knowing that I am one drink away from my next drunk
this is NOT what I signed up for

and I could see where people would relapse, if they stopped at "JUST NOT DRINKING"

back to the drawing board for me.........
Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
On my path.

Boleo -

Thank you for posting this beautiful description illustrating the shift in your behavior and spirit as you moved from abtinence to recovery. Your post is filled with peace, hope, respect and honesty.

It is too bad that it got caught up in the 'Great AA Debate' that seems to take over everything here.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

hi all feels funny talking stuff here ..first time i could be in the wrong area..i think i need a few friends hope that does not sound to needy... anyone done 3 months sobriety and feel great just more positive ..???