Celebrate Recovery

Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrate Recovery

I posted this question in another section and then realized that I should probably post it here.

I have good news! There's a meeting on Friday at 7pm in our area! I emailed the place to see if they have childcare there. But in the meantime, I'm banking on going this Friday!

Have any of you every gone?

What the difference between this and AA and ALANON?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA is for alcoholics who want to stop drinking....Al Anon is for people whose lives have been affected by someone's else's drinking (i.e. for the family, friends, co-workers, etc... of alcoholics).
If an AA meeting is a closed meeting, only people who identify as alcoholics who want to stop drinking should attend....In my area, we don't have closed Al Anon meetings, but it is my understanding that there are some places that do.

freya
Old 04-20-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freya View Post
AA is for alcoholics who want to stop drinking....Al Anon is for people whose lives have been affected by someone's else's drinking (i.e. for the family, friends, co-workers, etc... of alcoholics).

freya
Thanks but I meant the difference between "Celebrate Recovery" and 'AA and ALANON'?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe that Celebrate Recovery is a specifically Christian slanted 12 Step recovery program....kind of an interesting concept since the original 12 Steps are intentionally focused on spirituality rather than religion...but, hey, whatever works for ya!

freya
Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The main differences from what I know are that Celebrate Recovery is strictly a Christian endeavor with the higher power being defined as Jesus Christ. Which I see nothing wrong with, just not the path I'm on.
The other difference is that Celebrate Recovery has no single/primary purpose other than getting a person to accept Jesus Christ as savior in order to recover from whatever their problem is. It does not focus primarily on recovery from alcoholism. Rather it encompasses alcoholism, drug addiction, co-dependancy, sex gambling, etc. Which to me doesn't make a lot of sense.
I can't make a call on how effective it is because I have no experience with it, although there is a guy I'm working with (sponsoring) who tried it and couldn't stay sober.