First AA Talk!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA Talk!

I have been asked to speak at a friend's 1 year anniversary and I am terrified! I have been in the program for almost two years and I have never been much of a talker and the thought of standing in front of a crowd is almost more than I can handle. But to say no will just make me feel guilty and the only real reason I have to say no is fear of doing it.

I don't want to do a lot of talking about my drinking but more about the wonders of this program, my struggles, my God. What do you guys think? How have any of you handled the fear of speaking?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

my sponsor told me not to rehearse and be a channel of God's love and message and that he being my higher power would speak through me......

I practiced for a week and even 3 hours the day of, made sure to have 5 minutes of how I got to AA (minimal drunkalog) and then 10 minutes of my main issue ie. thinking problems and dealing with feelings, then 5 minutes of what has / is working for me.......

I did fine....

God favors the prepared.

Good Luck,

C
Old 10-08-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
When I was in high school I dropped out of speech class, I was scared to death of speaking to a group of people. At that time it was probably a precursor to the life I would lead as an alcoholic, being the loner and isolating at home to drink.

I've got a few years in sobriety and I've had the opportunity to speak more than a few times, and because of my service commitments I often make announcements to our group of 150+ people every afternoon. I still get a little shakey about standing up and speaking, or even reading in front of a room of AA'ers.

That nervousness usually goes away after a few minutes, I remember that I'm there to share my experience, strength, and hope, and to carry the message to the newcomer. What counts most is that I'm as open and honest as possible. Usually it flows pretty well, if it doesn't I remind myself that it's not about me. I'm sharing my story in the hopes that someone will relate to the similarities.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

say your prayers to your higher power that you be honest and you will do fine. everybody there listening is just like you, no better no worse. a message from the heart will reach a heart, good luck:ghug3
Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At two years in AA, I honestly hope you could tell them how you recovered from alcoholism by working the 12 steps, that is the AA message.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by Chops View Post
God favors the prepared.
Ain't that the truth!

I been sober awhile and I still have problems speaking (while I stand) in front of people. I joined a public speaking group a few months ago and if I have learnt anything there it is be prepared.

I think in AA I tend to think, "God will speak through me". For a few years in AA I also thought God was going to remove my character defects and I didn't have to do anything to aid this process, apart from turn up at meetings.

So my tendency to take any kind of action myself is not my first point of call! These days I 'blame it on god' for want of a better expression, if it doesn't work out. Despite the fact I didn't take any action!

I know this is crazy thinking but this is how my mind works sometimes.

So if you do have the chance, prepare at least something, even if it is just a list of points you want to cover.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was always told to just talke from the heart...of course being human i do think about what i'm gonna say some...but it's always worked out well to just get up and tell my story as it comes to mind that day.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by lifelong936 View Post
How have any of you handled the fear of speaking?
Before I give an open talk in front of a large group of people I try to keep in mind two thing about my audience:

1. Half of the people there are crazier than I am.

2. The other half of the people there are crazier than they are.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Your approach sounds great - when I did my first big talk (20 mins, 120+ people) I wrote out my 'speech' - what it was like, what ahppened, what its like now - and for most of the time I read from it...I then graduated to just using key notes and now I just pray beforehand and talk HONESTLY about what it was like, what happened, what its like now - with the emphasis being on gratitude for God's grace and the aa progrma (including its members)
You will be great - talking is service, it's a privilege and it keeps us sober.
Good luck - let us know how you get on - even perhaps share here what you share there, I'd love to read
Cathy31
x
Old 10-16-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The time leading up to it is actually the worse part. Yes really.

I had to do a tv interview once and i was absolutely terrified, i thought I would have a heart attack, but once it got going I was actually enjoying myself .
You'll be fine.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

1. Pray that the right words come to you.
2. Spend no more than 5 minutes on your 'drunkalog'. Folks can pretty easily identify with us without us having to give every gory detail in living color.
3. When in doubt, give Experience, Strength, and Hope.
4. A good outline to follow is walk though the 12 steps, explaining how each helped you, stoping to explain those steps that you struggled with.

Good luck, and have a GREAT TIME! You'll do fine.