Am I catching an AA resentment?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by trooper913 View Post
I BANNED YOUR MESSAGE.
I think you are doing yourself enough harm with your attitude that this forum member won't ban you. I would rather see you grow and learn what life can be like without resentments filling your days.

Life sure feels a lot better when we dump the resentments and learn to accept life on life's terms.

Hypocrite? You bet your backside. I was one of the biggest of them all.
Now I tend my own side of the litter box and things sure are much nicer.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

It is never a good idea to lump all AA'ers together and to make an absurd general statement such as you have. Your statement does not suit all AA'ers. I never have shunned a drug user. It didn't really bother me to hear someone mention drug use. I just couldn't relate because I could care less about using drugs. I have never gone out to score drugs, but would risk anything to buy more booze. A drug is a drug, is a drug. My drug of choice was booze and could care less about anything else. I guess that makes me an alcoholic wanting to relate to other alcoholics. Nothing wrong with that.

Hey, this loser hopes that you find a program that suits you well and that you can find an outlet to let loose of your anger. Take a deep breath and move forward.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Tradition #12

Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.

This has become my favorite tradition, used to be #3, I desperately clung to #3 for awhile.

Tradition #12 tells me that I'M NOBODY. That's an important concept for me to wrap my mind around. You see, before AA and sobriety, before the alcohol and drugs completely kicked my butt, I knew everything and when drunk I wasn't shy about letting you know I knew everything.

My ego will still try to make me believe the lie, that I really know something about anything and my personality may sometimes try to convince others that, yes, I do indeed have things all figured out.

The principle is that I'm just a drunk who tried for thirty years to make alcohol and drugs work in my life and if left to my own devices I will, once again, return to that pit of desperation.

Forgive me....I'm sick too...

God's Peace
Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

trooper913,

Maybe you need some more convincing. Was AA the problem when you were drinking and drugging? I do hope you find an answer. The only thing that misery and success have in common is that you will always find folks to support you in your personal efforts to grow in either direction. Responsibility starts with you, not AA, NA or AHA. If you need a hand, let me know I am willing.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I know you probably feel all embarassed now and you were probably drunk/high when you had your outburt....dont worry I've done it too. There IS a solution. Go for it. Go to AA. Go to NA. Go to MA (marijuana anonymous) if the cap fits wear it. Just go - and get clean and sober and as Best says you can grow and develop and let go of those resentments. It really is a beautiful life. You are welcome here - AND at any of the AA meetings I go to as long as you desire to stop drinking - that's the only requirement for membership you see! Simple! And you are WELCOME. and you will be LOVED.
\
Cathy31
x
Old 04-06-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ok I owe you all an apoligy. I am sorry. Cathy was right I was in the middle of a relapse and said things I regret. Day 2 again!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You are not alone

Everyone on this site has said things under the influence we wish we could take back, I still do from time to time, but I do what you just did, own it, make my ammend to the best of my ability and move on. Focus on your recovery and know that you are supported here.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Welcome back? what you gonna do differently this time?

Remember Einstein (really!) said :

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome back Trooper! Keep up the courage and honesty!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

One of the first things I learned to be wary of in recovery is resentments it is often the precursor to a slip.

AA was and still is an organization geared exclusively towards people with a drinking problem. But even then in the early days of AA, meetings used to exercise a lot of tolerance for persons with drug related problems. In fact it is with AA's support that Narcotics Anonymous eventually evolved so that nowadays people with a drug problem have a 12 Step fellowship of their own. People with drug related problems no longer have to attend an AA meeting to talk about using drugs. They can go to NA. Even then I know of not a single AA meeting that will deny entry to a junkie provided he realizes that AA has a singleness of purpose (alcohol and the recevery therefrom)
Old 04-10-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

To the original poster- AA is my fellowship and it was also on my resentments list. My drug of choice was heroin, and I never had a major problem with alcohol. Every once in a while I did feel like you do, that AA seems unwelcoming to certain people, but what I realized later on in my step work is that a lot fo this stuff was simply in my head. The delusional thinking that told me that I knew what people were thinking and that my girlfriend was cheating on me and all of these things that were simply not real, is the same kind of thinking that led me to my resentment against AA. In reality, they were happy to see anyone who is suffering, from drugs or alcohol, come into the rooms.

Besides, Alcohol is not the problem. Drugs are not the problem. The problem is a behavioral/emotional/spritual sickness. Anyone who is caught up on "This is a 12 step meeting for Alcoholics" or "This is a 12 step meeting only for drug addicts!" don't seem to have the greatest understanding of spirituality. Alcohol/drugs were nothing but a symptom of the true problem- me!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Friend or Foe?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

sosantney
sometimes I believe we forget the 2 fellowships are different.They are not the same.AA doesn`t call alcohol a drug.AA doesn`t call alcoholism a addiction,but a illness or malady.
We both share 12 steps,but they are not the exact same, & when we study them,we`ll see differences.It helps to understand how each fellowship view certain things.I just listed 2 of them.Ours is a journey of understanding sometimes.It`s not for me to change AA,<& I tryed before>But as you said earlier,I need to change my attitude and continue learning.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by acon4726 View Post
To the original poster- AA is my fellowship and it was also on my resentments list. My drug of choice was heroin, and I never had a major problem with alcohol. Every once in a while I did feel like you do, that AA seems unwelcoming to certain people, but what I realized later on in my step work is that a lot fo this stuff was simply in my head. The delusional thinking that told me that I knew what people were thinking and that my girlfriend was cheating on me and all of these things that were simply not real, is the same kind of thinking that led me to my resentment against AA. In reality, they were happy to see anyone who is suffering, from drugs or alcohol, come into the rooms.

Besides, Alcohol is not the problem. Drugs are not the problem. The problem is a behavioral/emotional/spritual sickness. Anyone who is caught up on "This is a 12 step meeting for Alcoholics" or "This is a 12 step meeting only for drug addicts!" don't seem to have the greatest understanding of spirituality. Alcohol/drugs were nothing but a symptom of the true problem- me!

Read about singleness of purpose, read the traditions, AA is for alcoholics. I don't know why this so controversial. Do not think for a second I would tell a drug addict, get out now you don't belong. I would guide them to the fellowship that could help them.

Non alcoholics in AA, although well intentioned cause harm. I know I am in the minority in this school of thought, that fine. I have a friend who tells me to stand for something or I'll fall for anything. Maintaining the integrity of AA is something I will always stand for.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I appreciate your opinion and I can see where you are coming from. I think that saying that drug addicts in AA causing harm is a little dramatic though.

Some fellowships are appropriate for some people. Heroin brought me to my bottom, but I fell in love with the AA book and fellowship. Besides, my drug of choice could have just as easily been alcohol. A spiritual sickness is a spiritual sickness.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I believe he said, non- alcoholics. NA is probably your group. Smoking a joint here and there never made me black out and almost drive off a cliff. But alcohol did. Then to wake up the next day and drink again... ALCOHOLIC! But if heroin is your problem than going to aa and making it your home group is just like me going to mcdonalds for health food. POINTLESS! $hit or get off the pot.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Regardless of definitions that exclude or include ... it doesn't really apply to me because I am definately an alchoholic. I am also definately an addict. One does not preclude the other.

Additionally I have the desire not to drink or drug today.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You hit the nail on the head there Ananda. I am an alcoholic and drug addict also.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

not an opinion

Originally Posted by acon4726 View Post
I appreciate your opinion and I can see where you are coming from. I think that saying that drug addicts in AA causing harm is a little dramatic though.

Some fellowships are appropriate for some people. Heroin brought me to my bottom, but I fell in love with the AA book and fellowship. Besides, my drug of choice could have just as easily been alcohol. A spiritual sickness is a spiritual sickness.
This is not an opinion. AA addresses this quite clearly: http://www.aa.org/en_pdfs/p-35_ProOtherThanAlcohol.pdf

Here's an opinion: perhaps your "drug of choice" is actually your drug of no choice. It will be real hard to have an authentic 1st step if you have choice, spiritual growth must be built on a foundation of truth.